Dave Lloyd - CATS WISKAS

messiah

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Having mentioned last week that I would like a Dave Lloyd CATS WISKAS frame one promptly appeared on ebay... in my size :)

Rather than sit through the ebay process and end up losing the frame I contacted the seller and struck a deal :D

The pictures from the ebay advert are in my gallery :cool:

The frame is built from Reynolds 653 and is Fillet Brazed with all joints smoothed and it has a very neat looking Wishbone rear end :p

Once it arrives I'll get some better pictures and figure out what on earth I'm going to do with it :roll:

The owner had it originaly built with a not to fancy build of XT with an XTR rear mech. He thought the frame was Mid 90's but I would have said earlier since it has a 1" XT threaded headset and Pace RC35 Air Ballance forks.

I'm thinking of building it with whatever I can get my hand on and then see if the retro bug bites me any harder...
Frame, fork and stem are coming as per the pics but unknown at the moment is the seatpost size (but I'm guessing 26.8 or 27.2).

Does anyone on here have any old reviews of this frame or info on Dave Lloyd frames?

I'm guessing it's a rare beast. A few friends had Dave Lloyd's back in the early nineties because Neil Ross (of Neil Ross cycles in Aberdeen) was friendly with Dave and used to sell them. Neil did good deals for local racers/riders and I've seen and ridden a few Lloyds before, but I've never seen a CATS WISKAS in the flesh ;)

Looking forward to it arriving :D

Messiah,

what a beautifull piece :shock: Like everyting on it; the expressive still sophisticated paint, the fact it is fillet brazed steel...

the name :mrgreen:

If theres a DOGS BOLX around its got my name (and credit card number) all over it!

Watch this space...

I raided the garage last night and found some parts of a 1995 XT groupset, some XTR V's and and a pair of XC-Pro thumbies. Add this to my Answer Hyperlites and collection of 26.8, 27 and 27.2" Seatposts and it looks like I have almost enough to get the bike built and rideable :shock:

I also found two Manitou 1 crowns, (one each in 1" Ahead and 1-1/8" Threaded) along with a butchered pair of forks which may be salvagable.

It was happy visit to the garage :D

Nice looking frame. Looks to be in good nick. If I hadn't just scored some retro USE stickers for my handlebars I might have been a tad jealous ;)

First build.

8spd XT with XC Pro thumbies, XTR levers and Avid Ultimate V's.

The wheels are XT 8spd hubs on 217 rims with DT Revolutions (Built by me in 1997 :shock: ).

Saddle and seatpost are Bontrager, Stem is Control Tech, Bars are Answer. Seatpost, saddle and bars have been in use by me since 1997 :shock: .

ymtqes.jpg

ymtqee.jpg

ymtqea.jpg

ymtqed.jpg

I have a few more changes to make but it looks good and rides sweet :cool:

Back