Project Sow's ear.

Grannygrinder

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
I've long pondered the purchase of a modern hardtail cross country bike. I've never made the jump mainly because I can't really justify it and down to the cost. So I decided to make one :D . I've had this old specialized rockhopper aluminium frame kicking around for ages, but i've never used it because the paint is a bit crap and the bottom bracket threads were a bit dodgy.
A mate of mine offered to sort the threads for me, as long as I did something with it afterwards. So I am. I've decided to make a disc braked, single speed, front suspended XC bike. I've taken all the unnecessary guides and suchlike off to start with, I'll post more pics as it dribbles along. Next jobs, get busy with the Nitromores and weld on my rear disc mount.

Attachments

• frame 008.JPG
    frame 008.JPG
    34.6 KB · Views: 1,372
  • frame 007.JPG
    frame 007.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,372
  • frame 006.JPG
    frame 006.JPG
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,372
I wish I'd taken off all the extra cable guides from mine before i sprayed it.....

i left them on in case i didnt like singlespeed - but i do so cant imagine ever having gears on her again

weld?!?! assuming it is an a1 aluminium frame can i recommend 5356 filler rods, and that you use at least h30 for the mount. hope you are going to heat-treat it afterwards or it WILL break.

Im doing the Exact same:

Video056.jpg

I'm a bit worried about you lopping off the seatstay bridge too - it's a fairly important structural bit and you will be putting a lot of stress onto the welds around the seat cluster.

Possibly, I think it will be ok. I wouldn't remove the one near the bottom bracket due to all the twisting forces, but the top one just seems to get put there as a brake mount that never gets used.

ive seen many bmx frames cracked at the seatstay/seattube weld . its a highly stressed area , keep an eye on it

Back