1994 Roberts Genesis. Updated 19/04/09, loads of pics page 2

JeRkY

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Common as muck these custom Roberts jobs!

Here is a picture of my baby 94 Genesis thus far.
P1010194.jpg

Flash seems to mess with the contrast but for this time of night it will do.

Frame- Robert Genesis 1994
Fork- Pace RC35 AB
Wheelset- NOS Middleburn Hubs on Mavic 317's (thanks to Canondale king for the wheel build)
Freewheel- POS 8 speed :(
Tyres- NOS Smoke/Dart (thanks to the bristol bike jumble...£10!!!)
Post- USE
Saddle- Charge Spoon
Headset- Shimano 600 1"
Stem- Ritchey
Bars- Renthal +130 (ive seen "RC sub 130's" before but this one is new on me"RC+130")
Brake levers & shifting - M900 XTR Sti's
Brakes- Ritchey WCS cantis
Pads- Kool stop
Cable outers- white Tioga
Rear deraileur- XT M737 (not shown)
Front deraileur- XT M735 (not shown- may change as the 735 I have is rougher than preferable)
BB- Hope Ti (not shown)
Cranks- Middleburn RS1's (not shown)

Frame was Bought off a chap on here & I have had it resprayed in original colour & new decals applied under the lacquer.

Not sure about the stem, I put it on as a temporary measure as I was hoping to have a pace RC45 XC stem in silver available (using a quill adaptor & shim) Grips are intended to be a pair of Brooks leather grips in a tone matching the saddle. Alternatively I was going to swap the saddle for my usual equip of a ti flite in black, then use a pair of clear onza porci-paws. Very much undecided on the final touches.

Between psychlist, Jez and myself I think we have the Roberts MTB range covered :)

Any comments/ build/ finish advice welcomed.

personally i'd go with the black saddle and clear grips - keeps it looking period and I like the monotone look of it!!!!!!

I'd also try and find either a silver stem or black seatpost - i like the seatpost and the stem to be the same colour if they are more aftermarket type products!! ;)

But hey - its your bike........and a classy one at that mate!!! Liking it a lot

This is gonna be nice :cool: I quite like the black and silver combo :) works well with the forks. Would maybe polish the post though, to match the stanchions

To be honest Jez I am not sure. I am a little sad that woodrups (the shop that did the respray) didnt replace the columbus decal which indicated the tubing it was made from, as I cant remember what it was now :( I do know the range went (from high to low price) White Spider> Dogs> Genesis. But other than that I have no idea, I am guessing its all in the tubes?

Yeah I sort of like the black stem/silver post on this bike, normally I agree stem & post must match but I think this looks alright. Would still prefer a UK made stem for it though!

Still searching for an elusive Pace ahead in 1" or 1 1/8th" to use via an adaptor, or even better would be an earlier pace "reverse ahead" stem like the one on my RC100, but pollished. (that would have to be a 1" one)

Still unsure about the Tan coloured grips/saddle or black flite ti & clear porcipaws...guess i'll have to try both.

Saddle in tan is fine. Like it.

All grips should be black (or the elusive Umma gumma Specialized grips that I have never come across second hand)

'Tis the law! :cool:

What were the differences in the model range?

Off the top of my head (and therefore quite possibly wrong in all sorts of ways): The White Spider was the original Roberts MTB frame, but because they were custom/made to measure they were all different - you could have an e-stay WS if you wanted. IIRC they all used essentially the same tubeset, though. Similar story with the DB, which came a bit later, used a combination of tubes from different manufacturers and had the two-piece wishbone/stay arrangement. The Genesis was the "entry level" off-the-peg frame, although I believe that, just to confuse, there were custom options on that as well ;-)

looking good jerky. stem looks good and the ritchey cantis are some of the most lovely cantis ever made. as much as i love the saddle (i have one and they are really comfy) it seems a shame not to keep it period correct so i'd go with a flite but then its not my bike. looking forward to the finished article.

Latest posts

Back