94 rwracing mountain bike

rody

BoTM Winner
Ok, so the thread about riding your "retro" rides prompted this post. This is my daily beater...

1994 rwracing mountain bike. This was the first bike I ever built for myself after my time with Grove Innovations. The frame is made of 4130 aircraft and is overbuilt to last so I can give it to my grandkids. As this is my daily ride, it has not stayed period correct. Original items include...

Judy XC
Machine Tech Hubs
Caramba Double barrel cranks with Kooka rings
1989 XT thumbies, and derailleurs
Aheadset threadless headset
Ringle cam twist skewers
Onza bar ends
Flite saddle with 2005 black duct tape

Love the bike but it is in need of a face lift. I've slowly been collecting parts to fix her up and will respray the frame this winter.

cheers,

rody

Attachments

• rwracing mtb2.jpg
    rwracing mtb2.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 2,055
  • rwracing mtb.jpg
    rwracing mtb.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 2,055
Cool ride Rody...looks like you built it right first time :D

Out of interest do you normally build your MTBs with the top tube setup as pictured? Or is it dependent purely on the customer?

Rutteger,

If someone is dead set on what they want...it's their money, they get it, unless it I have issues with it (safety, longevity, function).

This particular design allows for maximum standover with a conventional top tube without the compromise of an extra long seat post with accompanying leverage. Nothing worse than bending your high dollar post or worse yet, your seat tube. This is also one of the reasons the seat binder is located on the front of the tube, giving maximum tube integrity and strength in this area.

cheers,

rody

Back