1994 Rhygin Ra

misterdangerpants

Old School Hero
So, I thought I'd finally post my 1994 Rhygin Ra. I've been lurking and checking out all the great bikes in the interim. I purchased and built this lovely beast back in 1996. I got it as a leftover as it had been hanging on the shop wall for roughly 2 years when I picked it up. Every time I went into the shop, I drooled over this beautiful example, and finally took the plunge in early summer 1996. Initially, the Bike Magazine article back in 1994 sparked my interest. It is the epitome of the east cost single track bike. My frame is somewhat of a rare example (well, Rhygin bikes in general are somewhat rare I imagine), as the geometry was custom. Surprisingly enough, it fit me perfectly so maybe it was fate that it ended up with me. It served me well for 12+ years, so in 2008, I thought it deserved some shiny new bits. I did leave some of the original "vintage" parts, and even added some vintage parts in the rebuild. The only thing on the bike that is original from the 1996 build is the fork, brake levers and the peace sign brake cable hangers. I changed a few things since this year, which included the tires, seat post and saddle.

Right now, it's in the process of being dismantled as I'm having a new Independent Fabrication Deluxe built up, and all the parts (excluding the fork) from the Rhygin are being transferred onto that. Once that's done, I'm going to rebuild it back up with all period correct parts (1994 - 1996). Possibly thinking of having it painted, but the paint is still in excellent condition, as is the frame (no rust, dents or major scratches), so maybe not. I really enjoy this bike and will never part with it.

Here are the specs. The items in parenthesis are the original parts prior to the rebuild:

Frame: Rhygin
Fork: Rock Shox Judy XC
Rims: Mavic Crossmax SL (was Mavic 217 SUP in the rear and Araya RM-17 in the front)
Hubs: Mavic Crossmax SL (was Hershey titanium in the rear and Shimano XT in the front)
Quick Release: Mavic (was Salsa titanium in Rasta color scheme)
Tires: Continental Mountain King UST Tires w/Black Chili (2.4)
Pedals: Shimano XTR (were Shimano XT)
Crank: Crank Brothers Cobalt SL (was Cook Brothers Racing RSR w/Kooka rings)
Chain: SRAM
Rear Cogs: Shimano Dura Ace (no idea what was on there prior; possibly Shimano XT)
Bottom Bracket: Crank Brothers Cobalt titanium (was TNT titanium)
Front Derailleur: Shimano XTR (was Shimano XT)
Rear Derailleur: SRAM X-0 (was Shimano XT)
Shifters: SRAM X-0 (was Grip Shift X-Ray)
Handlebars: Seven Cycles titanium (was Bontrager Titec 118 titanium)
Bar ends: Gone, daddy, gone (was Fat Bottom titanium)
Grips: Grip Shift
Stem: Ritchey Force and Ibis titanium (was Control Tech)
Headset: Chris King 2NUT
Brake set: Shimano XTR (was Shimano LX)
Brake levers: Kooka Racha
Saddle: Sella Italia SLR or Sella Italia Flite (was Sella Italia Flite)
Seat Post: Black Sheep titanium (was Syncros titanium)
Paint: Rasta
Size: Custom
Weight: 21 pounds
Place of Origin: Somerville, MA

P7100016.JPG

P7100015.JPG

P7100014.JPG

P7100012.JPG

P7100011.JPG

P7100009.JPG

P7100007.JPG

P7100004.JPG

P7100001.JPG

P2180020.JPG

P2180021.JPG

Lovely

Thats a very nice bike mate :cool:

Cool mix of old and new, making it a rider too..

Like the "Dont tread on me" Mass decal..

Rare bike fella, i would certainly keep hold of that.

W-O-W a Rhygin
jawdropblue.gif

Don't see them too often and that is sweet, what's even better is it's going back Period Correct....you gotta promise to post some pix when that is done.

Welcome ;)

Neill

I think I said it on the other board already, but that is one very Cool :cool: bike you got there. Love it.

That's really sweet! Really like that ibis stem too, haven't seen one of those for a while..

It's crying out for a rasta headset and skewers though ;)

Back