Build up of my very first retro bike!!

bigdavevw

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
hello!! well iv,e been after a retro bike for a while after finding this site :LOL: Im moving up to glasgow to studdy, and need a bike to get to college on, so i needed it to be cheap too. Or the NEDS will steal it :LOL:

This build up will be done as cheap as possible using parts from my old sh1tty bike that i binned. I dont want to spend more than £100 on it.
Ok, bought a frame off Cherrybomb for £30, a raleigh dynatech lookalike. Bought bars off Makster for £4.88 and Chainset off Onza for £14. Total is £48.88 so far.
parts im using off my old MTB are, brakes, brake levers, wheels and tires, and derailers. I can borrow some parts of my road bike too :p

On the look out for the following parts, Forks, Bottom bracket, and headset, and could do with a cassette to cos the old one is rusted solid :LOL:

pics so far

DSC02390.jpg
frame when i got it
DSC02391.jpg
v brakes
DSC02393.jpg
front derailer
DSC02395.jpg
so far

dave :p

Sould look pretty good for the money, what forks are you looking for ?

Fancied that frame myself as a hack but got far too much on my plate as it is.

hi, looking for 1.1/8th forks, solid or suspension. yea i think it should look half decent for what its goin to cost :LOL:

Done a few more small thing on the bike, while i wait for the other parts. Bought a lovelly set of cranks for £14 came with pedals, but they,ve went on my new MTB.
since the last update i,ve polished the brakes, cranks, wheels and cleaned and sprayed the front derailer with hamerite as it was a rusty bugger. Also repacked the hubs, and unseized the rear cassette. Also bought a few things for it coming to £2.

So spent another £16 on it :LOL:

lovelly cranks mmmm
DSC02401.jpg

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Hi Perry, those ur forks? i really want decent forks on the bike, But that might make it more atracting to theiving neds. the bike will be used for commuting through the week(left outside on a rail) then thrashed round some trail at weekends.

Im watching ur forks tho matey!!
Oh and i think ill just polish buggery out the cranks cos the paint just rubs off them too fast. :LOL:

Good to see the frame being put to good use again at last. :cool:

Just to prove that it builds up into a reasonable looking steed, here she is when I had her....

DSCN3397.jpg

nope not mine

the blue and silver would look nice . to deter thieves id spit in a condom and drape it over the grip :LOL: nobodys gunna touch it then

you could also always try to lock it next to a nicer looking bike

the bike is 99% finnished!!! took it a wee spin today, seat was too low, and kept slipping, the steering is really relaxed(im used to my modern xc,s steering) the brake hardly works :LOL: and it has more squeaks than jodie marsh,s bed.

But fookin hell it was fun!! loved it! Went round half of kirroughtree blue, just nice and slow, it is a smoother ride than my merlin and the gears shift well nice.

The whole project cost £69! some stuff was borrowed from a bike i have in the shed tho. Great fun building it, thanks to everyone who helped me, you know who u are :LOL: Put a modern xt front DR on it makes a big difference.

Looking for a 1.1/8th canti hanger if anyhas one i could buy pm me.

DSC02437.jpg

DSC02439.jpg

DSC02440.jpg

DSC02444.jpg

fookin brilliant

dave :cool:

Back