1935 Schwinn Excelsior Klunker Redux on P6

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Where it all began.

Thought its about time I started a thread on the ongoing saga that is my Klunker project.
I bought the frame late last year looking at a longer term project- I still need wheels but I'm sure something suitable will turn up.

I have covered the headset issues elsewhere but a quick recap for those that missed it.
Schwinns use a unique head tube size (shared with some early BMX's as it turns out) so i needed to make up adaptors to fit a standard 1" headset and fork. I took the frame along to an engineer friend who turned down an old alloy mandrel into cups which were pressed into place.

3327460797_232df3d91f.jpg

Headset could now be fitted and I have a NOS Tange Levin which is about right period and looks right.

3328295422_621e37365e.jpg

Next port of call was to my good friend Bjorns place. Bjorn builds his own tandem frames and learnt his skills from a chap who lived next door called Dave Yates. His brief was to add canti mounts to frame and newly aquired 26" BMX forks and to replace the original seat and chainstay bridges. The original bridges were made from bent sheet and had cracked in all the usual places. Bjorn also added a bridge for a canti hanger from flat plate which he drilled and tapped. I powdercoated his favourite tandem frame (30,000km and still going strong!) in exchange for his brazing work which is much better than my brazing it must be said!

I have just collected the frame and its now time to start building it up. Watch this space; no doubt its going to be another epic :roll:

Some pics of Bjorn's handywork

3384202717_45ca45e535.jpg

3384202711_7e70d42915.jpg

3384202715_5cc7b34a53.jpg

Was watching the other thread about this build - possibly salivating a little :LOL:

Its going to be ace built up.

So come on then - paint preference and build options (taps foot impatiently!)

i think this is going to be awesome and probably start a clunker revolution. what are you going to do for tyres?

letmetalktomark":3v0ymahg said:
Was watching the other thread about this build - possibly salivating a little :LOL:

Its going to be ace built up.

So come on then - paint preference and build options (taps foot impatiently!)

As it is for now, survivor patina!! I will paint it later in the year once its all built up

Build is
Dia Compe 4 finger levers, Mafac or Dia compe canti's (got both), Shimano 600 hubs on Ukai or Araya rims (still to sort), Nervar cranks, Union pedals, Suntour GT mechs with Suntour thumbies, Ashtabula stem, Triumph Tiger bars, Brookes B72 saddle on home made post (solid T6061 alloy). tyres- undecided.

Clothing will be flares, flannel shift and gardening gloves :LOL:

Paint will (eventually) be Metalic Purple with a red candy flip with old english white darts and red pinstriping, chromed fork.

I'm looking for a headbadge if anyone has one??

Si

lewis1641":17hbf187 said:
i think this is going to be awesome and probably start a clunker revolution. what are you going to do for tyres?

Only the coolest cats will dig the Klunkerz bro'

Tyre- hell knows, probably something modern and DH with the letters painted out, I want to ride it!

Anyone know of any uplifts round here? :LOL:

Si

albash82":39bb71sk said:
that looks ace! I was thinking of doing a clunker build at some point but need to find a suitable frame.

keep looking on ebay, they crop up all the time- not too expensive but the parts can be a bitch to find.

all good fun though ;)

Back