1993/4 Orange Prestige - considering changing spec page3

reanimation

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hey this is pretty exciting this. Two birds with one stone,
I wanted an all year fast retro to clock up XC miles...
After weighing my two retro's; Raleigh and Muddy Fox frames I realised they are not far off 6lbs! sheesh, thats all very well but all my other bikes are heavy, I want a fun whippet (in my size) for getting fit and keeping up with retro bikers, something like my early Prestige that I sold in 1993...

BITD004.jpg

:cool: :cool:

Explosive accelaration, springy, and was a joy to ride. Good times. Sold to fund lifestyle mainly but dabbled in BMX for fun and motorbike for commute, leaving MTBing for several years... :?

So Saturday, I picked this up from MrNero50, slightly impulsive, slightly premeditated!
bikes001.jpg

I see it as carrying on where I left (in 1993) best of both worlds.

Sweet, looks better than the pics.

bikes010.jpg

bikes009.jpg

bikes007.jpg

Weighs in well too, bout 4.5. Jeez I hope I don't break it! Wow

bikes004.jpg

BB was thought to be an issue possibly
bikes014.jpg

Seems OK not seen owt to worry about. Squirted Waxoyl and oil where I could and wire brushed the threads lightly. My available BB went in no prob. Ace

Being the impulsive person I am, i also got these:
bikes002.jpg

MX Comp ETA (2003) FSA Headset and 85mm Art stem
bikes003.jpg

bikes006.jpg

Weighs more that the frame! and I'm worried about length, Dropout to crown is about 445mm.
bikes018.jpg

Along with weight and length, they don't go! would need painting silver at the minimum. So not sure what to do at all.

Options:
(1) Paint and run MXC's
(2) Been offered some serviced Pace RC36's on here for £££ but same length as MXC's
(3) Hold out for RC35's
(4) Hold out for nice rigids

I do like the idea of staying with the aheadset system but owt could happen.

I have asked for fork help in general section but no advice yet.

If what you say about wanting to get lots of miles on this bike is true, then the best option is rigid.

The forks you have are too long, and so are the RC-36's. While achingly pretty, RC-35's are rubbish. If at all possible find some nice double butted steel forks with the correct length and get them painted to match.

Thanks Tallpaul, good experience talk. :cool:

I did a search on here about this this morning. I don't really have prob with rigid, specially useful for keeping weight low. I could lower the MXC's for special occasions, this if of course I get aheadset rigids! or sell and stick with rigid like the goold old days. back then my mate upgraded to Manitou i was a bit jealous! :D

reanimation":1nrzsckk said:
back then my mate upgraded to Manitou i was a bit jealous! :D

No need to be. Again, very pretty but rubbish :LOL:

I'm all in favour of fitting cool, rare, pretty stuff to the garage queen or bike that goes out on a ride or two in fine weather. But for anyone that's wanting to actually rack up some miles then it's gotta be functional (which you can have and still be retro).

Yeah i need to agree there, as i was getting a bit precious about the Muddy Fox wanting to use summer only, for now, too many nice new bits and its is kinda historic. The Irony is its a cheaper bike and probably pretty tough!

Nah hitting the trails on a pre scuffed Orange is very appealing :cool:

need to get looking for some rigids...

Good call with the rigids, seems a shame to have such a nice, light springy frame only to add that much weight with the forks.

How about pace rigids, always look sweet on Oranges

Neil G":3d90wonc said:
Good call with the rigids, seems a shame to have such a nice, light springy frame only to add that much weight with the forks.

How about pace rigids, always look sweet on Oranges

Yeah, on my search list, doubt they would be cheap or easy to find, but looking... :)

I'd consider new forks but equally hard to find.

If you are considering new, how about some of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/eXotic-Rigid-Carb ... 240%3A1318

I've got a disc only set on my Kona singlespeed and they are great. Soften out some of the bumps. Are under 2lbs in weight and are 425mm length, so could be a good fit?

Essentially they are the same as the White Brothers Carbon Rigids, but direct from the manufacturer.

I think they also do some Alu ones that are a bit cheaper.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Mark, i've got some Rock Shox Mag 21's you can have for karma if they'll do trick. They need a lick of paint but are mechanically sound, you'd just need a suitable steerer/crown (could even paint them if you ask really nicely). Those bomber are just too big for that frame.

Looks a great project, what you going to kit it out with?

Oooh thats very kind of you Mark!
:eek: :cool:
Be very cool for oldskoolness that would, and keep an eye out for some rigids maybe when they show up.

Buildwise, hmm, actually a few bits i got off you!

Frame: Orange Prestige

Fork: ??? light and short

Headset: ?
Stem: ?
Handlebar: Ritchey flattie 170gram in sexy silver
Grips: stock or summat funky and purple?
Barends: X Lite Ski in black
Brakes: Suntour SE Canti and V maybe at front...
Brake Pads: suntour and ?
Brake Cables: 'XT' prob
Cantilever cable hangers:
Brake Levers: ? hmm

Shifters:
Front Derailleur: probably something new
Rear Derailleur: Shimano XT SC same era
Derailleur Cables:
Cassette: 7speed 12-28
Chain: SRAM
Cranks: Middleburn maybe
Crank Bolts: