1997 Kona Hei Hei 20'' New Pics 14/04/2008

letmetalktomark

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
Hi Folks,

Forgive the wordiness to this topic but I thought it needed a little background....

I'm sure there is or has been at one point in time a bike that you have lusted over - go on admit it :LOL: :oops:

Well mine was until recently the Kona Hei Hei. I have ridden a variety of bikes over the years and have always favoured the Kona brand as its the brand (so far!) I have had the most fun on!

Unfortunately for the duration of the titanium Hei Hei's stay as a current bike in the Kona range I have never been able to afford one.

Role on nearly ten years since they stopped making them and I have one!

Frame:

Despite wearing 1998 decals I have done some trawling and serial number chasing and have found the frame to be a late 1997 - originally supplied with orange decals. The last owner fitted repro 1998 decals and for the mean time they will remain as I quite like them!

Build:

I was torn with this as I wanted periodish correct parts but also wanted to use a stock of parts that I had already. so the build is, shall we say eclectic!

Full build details below.

I hope you like a few this to change but nothing major - certainly the lightest bike I've ever owned but not stupidly light as I do like crashing and banging around whilst riding :twisted: ;) And it is a big one!

Pics

P1010009-3.jpg

P1010010-4.jpg

P1010013-3.jpg

P1010016-1.jpg

P1010014-2.jpg

Parts list:

Frame: 1997 Kona Hei Hei

Fork: Salsa Cromoto (425 mm AtoC)

Headset: Ritchey Logic WCS
Stem: Truvativ Team
Handlebar: FSA Riser (Plan to change to carbon flat bar)
Grips: Lock ons

Brakes: XTR M950
Brake Pads: XTR M950
Brake Cables: Shimano
Brake Levers: XTR M950

Shifters: XTR M950
Front Derailleur: XTR M950
Rear Derailleur:XTR M950
Derailleur Cables: Kevalr re inforced
Cassette: XTR M950
Chain: Sram 870
Cranks: Middleburn RS7
Crank Bolts: Middleburn
Chainrings: Middleburn ( Rings died pink ;) :cool: )
Chainring bolts: Middleburn
Bottom Bracket: UN54
Pedals: TBA

Hub Skewers: AtoZ Ti
Rims: Mavic Crossrides
Hubs: Mavic Crossrides
Nipples: Mavic Crossrides
Spokes:Mavic Crossrides
Tyres: Intense System 2
Tubes: ??

Saddle: Flite Ti
Seatpost: Brand X (To be replaced with a sweet Control Tech)
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Weight: Light

Nice Mark,

good to see that you have found your "dream" bike.

now let's see some pictures ;)

Pictures now added.

Pedals are only temporary and pictures are taken pre first ride.

Initial impressions are good, light whippy etc but most impressively is the compliant ride - even with a flite saddle!

A bit more work to do but its a starter for ten!

Your comments please......

Great bike Mark

I have a very, very similar bike to that, a 94 Hei Hei with 3/4 year old full XTR group on. TBH I think the older XTR stuff suits the bike so well, good to see some Salsa forks on a Hei Hei too as I'm thinking of getting a se for mine, how does it affect the handling/head angle?

Re: 1997 Kona He Hei 20'' Pics Added...

letmetalktomark":2u3nzqul said:
Frame:

Despite wearing 1998 decals I have done some trawling and serial number chasing and have found the frame to be a late 1997 - originally supplied with orange decals. The last owner fitted repro 1998 decals and for the mean time they will remain as I quite like them!

If it were a 1997 model year frame, it would have had down-tube routed cabling for the rear mech. Therefore the decals are period correct (albeit replicas) and this is a '1998' model Hei Hei. Admittadly it could have been built in late '97 as the 98 bikes would have been available from around September '97.

It didn't have its original decals when I bought it, they were already replicas but from the incorrect year. But, I really liked the 'thumbs up' decal on the seat-tube, so I left it there.

I wasn't able to date it accurately from the serial number alone as they are just sequential numbers with no date stamps (although I was able to determine that it was no later than a MY9:cool:. Did you contact Kona for the build date?

Very nice, well done!

I love the look of the Salsa forks though it is against the "rules" for Kona's (or maybe because it is). And a Control Tech post sounds a good plan too, will you fit a matching stem? The Control Tech white lettering on black paint should work well echoing the decals.

The same with the logo's on the frame, tires, hubs and saddle, complementary hints of yellow and red, sweet.

Enjoy!!

Tallpaul":id04t7de said:
If it were a 1997 model year frame, it would have had down-tube routed cabling for the rear mech. Therefore the decals are period correct (albeit replicas) and this is a '1998' model Hei Hei....

It didn't have its original decals when I bought it, they were already replicas but from the incorrect year. But, I really liked the 'thumbs up' decal on the seat-tube, so I left it there.

The Kona thumb on the lower seat-tube is the same as my 98 Hei Hei and is correct.

The font style of the "Thumb" is from 95-ish, but they kept using it for that one sticker after the font for the main stickers was changed.

DM":1rm3vhbz said:
The Kona thumb on the lower seat-tube is the same as my 98 Hei Hei and is correct.

The font style of the "Thumb" is from 95-ish, but they kept using it for that one sticker after the font for the main stickers was changed.

That certainly explains a lot, the 'thumbs up' looked like a genuine Kona decal (as opposed to the others which were definitely vinyl replicas). Good job I left it there :)

Very nice Mark, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh. Soon it will be an all Ti group meet at Thetford. If you ain't got a Ti you're not coming in :LOL:

Back