GT STS-DH Thermoplastic Rebuild

Gadro

Gold Trader
Feedback
View
So I managed to finally get hold of a GT STS-DH Thermoplastic after a few months of trying. Xizang thanks mate.

The bike arrived and was a bit of a hodgepodge of new and original parts. Decided to give it a bit of a makeover and get it looking nice and shiny again.

I've had to source a few hard to find parts along the way.

Rockshox Super Deluxe Rear Suspension Unit (nightmare to get hold of, but finally managed to source one from eBay in the States)
NOS Decal Set, went for the Red look as I think it looks good against the black and silver.
Marzocchi Bombers (Really wanted a Mint set of Rockshock DHO's but simply can't afford them :( )
XT Groupset all round with XTR cabling
Some Hope stuff

Still waiting on a few more parts will post some more pics soon :cool:

Attachments

• CIMG1494.JPG
    CIMG1494.JPG
    65 KB · Views: 4,448
  • CIMG1500.JPG
    CIMG1500.JPG
    47 KB · Views: 4,448
  • CIMG1502.JPG
    CIMG1502.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 4,448
  • CIMG1503.JPG
    CIMG1503.JPG
    61.4 KB · Views: 4,448
Before anyone says. I KNOW there is oil on the carpet AND I KNOW my wife is going to kill me :)

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Looking nice and I think the Bombers will work nicely. Of course, DHO's would be ideal (if I see any on my travels through cyberspace I'll get in touch), or possibly an early set of Boxxers??

Last thing, ask the mods to move this thread to the 'reader's bikes' ;)

Just started the cable routing on this. Absolute nightmare and a bitch of a job :twisted: Internal frame routing looks good but how the hell are you supposed to do it without a set of Surgical Tweezers about 8" long.

The damn liners had popped out inside :( If you own one of these GT's you'll know exactly what I mean

Taken me 3 hours to do the rear derailleur cable now I'm going to start the brake !!!

As they say on Galactica - Fraking Hell :roll:

DHOs

Hi, I just saw that your looking for a set of DHOs. It just so happens that I took one off my STS-DH a few seasons ago. The forks work fine but the brake arch snapped off when I slammed the trunk door on it. Replacements aren't too hard to come by but an original might be an impossible find. Also original decals have been replaces with "TECH" stickers (a motorcycle company I think). Otherwise they're great, smooth stanctions, no leaks, not too scratched - paint in good condition, never bottomed out. There are tool marks on the heads and it's missing some bolts (3 i think all M5s). If your interested make me an offer, its just collecting dust in my house.

Attachments

• DHOs.JPG
    DHOs.JPG
    36 KB · Views: 4,270
Hmmmm....considering the above offer, but going to do some Googling first on the Brake Arch

Few more pics of what's been done. Still got a few jobs to do. Fit the NOS rear shock and still struggling to get that rear brake cable through!!

Some people are going to hate it as it's a mix of new and old. Its got a full XT groupset. I put a new XT chainset on it as believe it or not, it was cheaper than the NOS XT ones on eBay. One I was bidding on went to £147 and I bailed out at £120.

Without DH forks and chain mech I have now turned this Retro DH bike into a 27 speed cruiser. Same weight as my Avalanche 1.0 and I don't think I'll be doing too much Downhilling on her as she's just too damn pretty.
I've looked at putting a rear disc on the back but wasn't really happy with an A2Z and can't afford the alternatives, so I've stuck with an XT V Brake with Carbon Booster. The way the cabling is routed inside this frame will mean that hydraulics would be very very hard if not impossible to pass through I and didn't want to spoil the look by having external cabling. So cable brakes it is all round with a Hayes MX1 on the front. Running a pair of 24seven Supercross wheels.

Got a slight headache to sort out with the rear shock. One of the existing trunion alan key bolts has rounded so I can't get the old trunion off without using the hacksaw. :twisted:

Have had to order a new set of trunion chips from BETD which with the bolts and washers cost £20

I always dreamed of owning one of these. Thanks Xizang for giving me heads up. Even my wife thinks this is a 'very cool bike' and coming from her it must be :)

Attachments

• STS Rebuild1.jpg
    STS Rebuild1.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 4,248
  • STS Rebuild3.jpg
    STS Rebuild3.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 4,247
  • STS Rebuild2.jpg
    STS Rebuild2.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 4,248
  • STS Rebuild4.JPG
    STS Rebuild4.JPG