1993 Explosif

IbocProSX

Gold Trader
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Here's the first outing of my current project, a 1993 Explosif in two-tone silver and black, sold to me as a 19" which I believe correct. I'm looking for feedback on the choices I made before finishing the build.

I've been riding the green original 91 Explosif a fair bit. It's a 20" though, and when out with a faster mate really pushing it, it simply felt too big. So enter the 19", frame off the bay showing some signs of use but in fine fettle. The "original" thing is covered so for this build anything goes. The chance find of the Stealth forks made silver and black the theme.

Thanks to all members represented here, too many to list, but have a good look, chances are you see some of your old parts ;).

Explosifduo_031.jpg

Explosifduo_035.jpg

Explosifduo_038.jpg

As for Choices:

The Stealth is lovely, but can I get them to work? I have back-up P2's which I could fit now.
Canti's as forks and frame are canti specific, love the HO's but not sure about black up front
Real levers are very nice, but look big in silver, I have some Ritchey ones in black and silver
Syncros kit is v nice but the headset and stem are big (so is Impact HS) a silver stem maybe
Riser bar yes I know, but it is going to be a rider (Ritchey flatbar backup with Onza CWA's?
I have Blackspire rings (black) alternatives, will fit them to check the silver-black balance.
Angle for the thumbies OK or rotate forward? Do they have a hidden 8th click?
Rustwall 2.1 Mythos's good for a rider, but I have some Ritchey skinwall alternatives

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

Enjoy!!

Specsheet:

Frame: 1993 Kona Explosif in 19" siolver-black with fluted downtube
Fork: USE Stealth 2" travel?

Headset: Syncros Hardcore
Stem: Syncros black
Handlebar: Syncros riser black

Brakes: Onza HO, black front - silver rear
Brake Pads: Kool stop
Cantilever cable hangers: Onza Chill Pills
Brake Levers: Real levers silver

Shifters: DX thumbies 7v hidden 8?
Front Derailleur: XT 735?
Rear Derailleur: M900 XTR
Derailleur Cables: tbc
Cassette: XTR 8v
Cranks: Syncros Forged with Syncros rings
Bottom Bracket: UN73 107mm
Pedals: Onza HO

Hub Skewers: Hope blue ano
Rims: Mavic X517 silver ano
Hubs: Hope blue ano
spokes: stainless db
Tyres: IRC Mythos XC 2.1K F & R

Saddle: Bontrager Ti Selle San Marco (with me since 993ish)
Seatpost: Syncros silver
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Extra's: Original crud catcher, with me since .... long, can't remember

That's looking good. It is a size 19 and I believe the top tube should be a whole inch shorter than the size 20 1991 bike, as the 92 and 93 frames were all shorter than the 91s. Frame still not suspension-adjusted, so you need something quite short like that USE.

its nice to see that its made its way from cambridge uk

there sign on the seat tube looks like, Ben Haywards cycles.

:D

Thanks guys,

I noticed the shorter TT and went with the longish stem, 140mm I think the black Syncros is. I also have an alternative layback seatpost too, Race Face XY not quite period but nice in black and silver. I rode 590mm top tube and a 135mm stem Mongoose back then, very much the way things were.

And Indeed I left the one decal showing it's origin on it, I spent the best part of an evening removing half a dozen other "sponsor" stickers. Tonight I could post a before picture from the e-bay ad.

What do you think of the "fat" stem on the skinny frame?
And I'm pretty sure the thumbies need rotating forward a bit.

I agree the Syncros stem is too chunky to be beautiful, but it is part of mtb history.... and it must be stiffer than a Ringle.

I have the same or at least similar USE sus fork, though mine is designed around a sachs power disk. Can you take some pics of the canti bosses for me? They're very small on my fork!

I think you're almost spot on! The black up front compliments the back half while the seatpost and cranks come together for some bling. I'd swap the tires for some skin walls though. I think that would set it off.

I like it!

Back