1991 Orange Clockwork 'Formula' **NOW FINISHED**

danpiero

Retrobike Rider
Dave Yates Fan
I am rebuilding my 91 Orange Clockwork which i have had from new . I used to use it for training on and had an Orange Formula for racing . unfortunatley my Formula snapped but i kept the one piece bar/stem combo and prestiege forks . i have put these onto it and sprayed it black . i will be put the original componenets from the Formula onto it that i still have so when finised it will be half clockwork and half formula . hopefully when finised it will look quite similar . i have also got on the way my one of a kind Dave Yates DONKIS NOB and GT LTS i used for D/H both of which i have still got from BITD

Attachments

• DSC00990.JPG
    DSC00990.JPG
    42.5 KB · Views: 2,021
  • DSC00991.JPG
    DSC00991.JPG
    35.9 KB · Views: 2,021
nice spray job and a really loverly looking frame, that bars/stem is cool :cool: Are you doing it as a european biuld- mavic headset etc.....?

some smokes in the background, are they going on the "formu-work"?

what colour decals you going with or is this a stealth bomber?

love it ;)

Thanks .Yeah i'm pleased how the spray job has come out . not bad for a DIY spray can job . i'm glad i kept the bar/stem combo i bet theres not many of them around aswell . im waiting for some decals which will be orange in colour . With the parts i'm putting the old parts that i had on my formula that i still have knocking about . iv'e got some campag centaur brake levers and have a mavic rear mech but the thread seems to have gone on it so i'll be outting on XTR M900 mechs . it should look pretty good when finished . hopefully in a few weeks then i'll post some more photos

Re: 1991 Orange Clockwork 'Formula'

danpiero":z12w1v0l said:
I am rebuilding my 91 Orange Clockwork which i have had from new . I used to use it for training on and had an Orange Formula for racing . unfortunatley my Formula snapped
Do you reckon the Formula was built too light to be strong enough for racing, or did something happen such that it was entitled to snap?

People often say that light steel bikes would only last a season or whatever. I remember somebody quoting Tom Ritchey saying that, but if the tube manufacturers specify a particular tubeset as suitable for mtb use then it should be strong enough. But some Ritcheys are so light that I've wondered whether he might have made racing frames with road tubesets that Tange wouldn't have specified for mtb, and just took a chance. Maybe the Formula was like that?

Some of the Ritchey Team bikes were retired after a season of racing...

That Orange is going to look sweeeeet when it's built...prefer the idea of a Euro build rather than XTR personally....goof to see the forks and bar stem combo made it through okay!!!

Rich

I've often pondered the 'light frame lasting a season' question: my stumpie is tange prestige but has lugs and has taken abuse for donkeys years.

I've also heard that frames with short head tubes are prone to cracks as there is less to resist the leverage of the fork.

There is a custom (mountain) bike on here somewhere that was built of Columbus genius and seems to have stood the test of time.

Maybe the rigours of on the limit "ten tenths" racing are far more than the - say - "seven tenths" use of a recreational rider over a number of years?

Back