19 years later!...and 9 months on!!! (first proper ride!)

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
I've re-built my Jamis Dakota! The poor thing has been languishing in my basement in bits since March, so last week I decided to get her built up again.
I think it was selling and boxing up my 87' Fisher that reminded me that I needed to get this bike sorted out and back on the trails.

Here is my original post, and will up-date it at the end :D

I've finally got my hands on another Jamis Dakota. This was a bike that I rode to death in the late 80's. I saved up all summer for a new bike and had about £350 to spend.
As I'm sure you're aware, this wasn't going to stretch to the Stumpjumper that I really wanted, so I started shopping around.
My Dad suggested a visit to the local Viceroy showroom, at which point I laughed at him! However, he dragged me along and I found they had a showroom Jamis Dakota that was last years model and was up for around £400. I was completely smitten!
I loved the faux fillet brazed frame and the fact I was getting a Deore groupset!
Best of all though were the bronze anodised RM20's.
My Dad managed to get the price down to about £330 for cash and the deal was done.
Most of my mates pissed themselves when I told them I had bought a bike they had never heard of, and from Viceroy.
They were bloody impressed when they saw it in the flesh though :)
Anyhow, I rode that bike everywhere. When I left school and started my engineering apprenticeship, I rode it to the training school every day. Got knocked off a few times, but she kept on going.
Was totally gutted when it was stolen from my shed in 1991 :(
Since finding this site I've been keeping my eyes peeled for another one, but didn't expect one to come up.
Then mrkawasaki puts his up for sale and its now in bits in my flat :D
The timing of it is awefull, as I have only just sent my Fisher to be coated and have that to rebuild.
My flat is pretty tiny, but there was no way I could let the Dakota slip by.
Not planning to do anymore than give it a damn good clean up, T-cut and touch-up the frame and new cables etc. Its missing the from RM20, but dont hold out much hope of finding another bronze one :(
I dont want it to look new, I want the bike back I lost in 1991 :cool:
Here are a few pics....

DSC01117.jpg

DSC01125.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

Cant wait to get this one done and have my first ride on a bike I loved for 19 years :D

thats cool you have found one after all these years. frame looks lovely

Gone to a good home...

Glad we could reunite you both - looking forward to seeing it complete and riding...

Mr K

Cool.

Love the back story, it's always good to here the reasons why something is so special to folk.

On a side note..... I have a pair of wheels built with RM20 rims that will be available soon complete with a 7 speed freewheel. They're not bronze though, they're polished.

If you're interested let me know and I'll 'put them aside' for you. I won't be asking big money for them;)

cherrybomb":zj5eofww said:
Cool.

Love the back story, it's always good to here the reasons why something is so special to folk.

On a side note..... I have a pair of wheels built with RM20 rims that will be available soon complete with a 7 speed freewheel. They're not bronze though, they're polished.

If you're interested let me know and I'll 'put them aside' for you. I won't be asking big money for them;)

If you could, that would be great. I've actualy got a set of the polished ones that came on my Fisher. They look cracking when polished up ;)

Yes, very nice to see another Jamis here!
I saw the same one on Ebay yesterday, but unfornattaly no shipping to Europe.
Look at those welds, so smooth, is this a Reynolds frame?

makster":193tya06 said:
cherrybomb":193tya06 said:
Cool.

If you could, that would be great. I've actualy got a set of the polished ones that came on my Fisher. They look cracking when polished up ;)

I'll give you a shout when they're available. Probably be a couple of weeks or so when I'm a bit closer to finishing my new project. ;)

this post illustrates the "retrobike spirit" perfectly !

in 1992 , when i was only 11 years old, 2 years after the anti communist revolution and one of my first visits to the western country's , more specific, Austria, Vienna , i saw a bike in a shop! i dreamed about that bike until i entered uni and i started to dream of it again at my first encounter with retrobike , i saw it again here after 15 years...it was a Horizon Attitude next to a Gator Adroit in that shop and one of the first things i saw here was a Horizon Attitude. i remember almost crying to my mom to buy it for me but it was very expensive at the time(an gosh! it still is) and she could not afford to spend that kind of money on a bike. anyways, my next project will definitely be a Horizon Attitude, with no modern parts and hopefully from 1992...

Back