1987 Fat City FAT CHANCE

Paint- Original spec or as it is??

• Original FAT spec- Black with Yellow Fork and decals?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • As it is- all Black with no decals?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dr S

Old School Grand Master
Postie came a knocking early this morning with a big box.

3328296868_15a102ddf0.jpg

Usual frantic opening followed by deep joy :LOL:

A little spanner work later and a quick blast around the block and here she is.

3327463119_0275337895.jpg

Groovy Shimano 600 headset and Salsa Roller stem

3327462939_cf22b39f47.jpg

Shes in great shape for her age, paint will be redone and the front and rear mechs need changing to period correct items. Otherwise she is totally original even down to those thick Shimano heavy duty cables.

I'm going for a really gentle, sympathetic resto on this one. Repaint the frame and fork and new decals, parts will be cleaned and serviced- even keep those cables ;)

A huge big transatlantic Karma beam to Deano the Man for making this all possible and a huge thanks to EdEdwards for getting the ball rolling in the first place- I owe you one dudes.

I will get some better pics later but I'm going for a blast on it for an hour or two.

Si

Very nice :cool: , was going to ask what it is but i'm guessing it's the 86 Fat Chance ?, restoration plans for it sound great, would be easy to ruin such an original example.

scant":1mr1g2le said:
VRC crowd go mental for that headset. looks v. promising :D

It is rather pretty isn't it :cool:

Checked the frame number- its a 1987 FAT not 86.

Rides really well

Si

I have a NOS set of those cables lying 'round, drop me a line, you can have 'm for postage costs
cheers Roy

yo-eddy":3nfphq7l said:
I have a NOS set of those cables lying 'round, drop me a line, you can have 'm for postage costs
cheers Roy

Cheers matey- they will come in handy asK don't really trust 22 year cables!

I rode it home from work last night. Very pleased- nothing rides quite like a FAT. Brakes were poor in the slushy rain but otherwise all was good. Will get those pics up today.

Si

that is one cool looking machine Dr S- it just looks right, however I think you are going to need some bigger brake levers :roll:

Just had an hour out on it on my way to work. Crispy fresh morning with a heavy frost meant the normally muddy trails were dry as a bone. I really love this bike already and it is frightening how much it rides like a Yo Eddy! the bars are wide with plenty of backsweep, the size is perfect, it turns in with pinpoint accuracy, brakes are not great but thats probably the old pads. Really smitten with it.

Heres a few pre resto pics from this morning.....

3329760563_fe03e2fd55.jpg

3330595292_2dbfc36fcc.jpg

3329763465_dfedc3da37.jpg

3330597344_57d52c67d4.jpg

more to follow...

Back