1994 Kona Hot - updated progress pic 25th May

richi78

Devout Dirtbag
After waiting patiently for 2 weeks the Kona Hot that I bought from eBay finally made its journey from west coast to east. I quickly unpacked it and built it up, sat astride it for fit (was worried it would be too big, but there is just enough clearance with the top tube) and then started to see what was what component wise. It's a little dirty, but here are some initial pictures.

DSC00821.jpg

the all important down tube

DSC00830.jpg

the important stickers!

DSC00843.jpg

DSC00840.jpg

DSC00823.jpg

The first thing to go be all the Specialized kit that the previous owner threw onto it (saddle, seat post, cranks, rings, grips, rims). Next will be the 150mm stem. Way too long for me and I'll probably replace with something about 100mm. Not too keen on the Manitou 2's either. They seem exceptionally stiff (about 10mm travel when pushing down on them). The rest of the kit seems to be Deore XT from 93. Not sure what to do with this as some looks ok, whilst other bits seem tatty. Oh and I think it has some Ti bars, but not sure.

So, generally very happy with it. Looking forward to the build, but cash flow will mean it make take some time. Also I'm not 100% sure which direction to go with it. I'm almost certainly going to send it off to Tom Teasdale for a respray and get fresh decals put on. Possibly going to fit Magura's too, but not sure...

Any feedback/idea's/comments welcomed!

Re: 1994 Kona Hot - new project

richi78":11a17e6o said:
Not too keen on the Manitou 2's either. They seem exceptionally stiff (about 10mm travel when pushing down on them).

You've been fortunate enough to get a plush set - wait till the temperature drops..... :LOL:

Sweet bike :cool:

That looks in pretty good condition. Personally I'd keep that paint, even though black wouldn't have been my first choice. A Hot is only half a Hot once it loses its original paint IMPO. A clean and polish with auto wax would be the first thing I'd do.

The choice of forks would be the important decision, but I guess it depends on what you want to use the bike for. Bear in mind though that as it has the 94 geometry, that geometry stayed the same for many years from 94 onwards, so you aren't restricted to period-correct forks from a dynamics point of view. Something classy-looking from White Brothers would be nice.

Thanks for the comments guys - appreciated.

The paint work is in better condition than I expected and I think you are right, a good clean and polish will have it looking nice and tidy. I still think I would like to get it resprayed eventuallyjust to get it pristine looking. If I get it done by Tom Teasdale does it then mean that it doesnt lose its originality? ;)

Also, some of the decals are scratched and peeling away in places so I'd like to get them reset and possibly laquered over.

As for the forks, I'm torn over what to get. I have my Dawg for full on off road riding and I have my Singlespeed for city duties, so this will probably be more of a gentle trail/xc bike so I wont need anything with too much travel. Probably something 80-100mm. I guess to do the frame justice I have to try and get something light weight and top end - which means saving up some pennies first. If I can get my hands on some nice SID's then I think that they will go well.

Any thoughts on using the Magura HS33's?

I think I may bid on some Sugino Impel cranks that I have seen, I think they were originally specced for the HOT so would look good. Just gotta get that specialized stuff off - its just not right!!!

richi78":25fs77yy said:
As for the forks, I'm torn over what to get...

I think I may bid on some Sugino Impel cranks that I have seen, I think they were originally specced for the HOT so would look good. Just gotta get that specialized stuff off - its just not right!!!

Those Manitous are sitting way too low, your elastomers have probably rotted to mush. That's why the thing is firma nd low on travel.

Skip the Impels, I would think that the Hot would have Mightys instead, as they are the cold forged Suginos, where the Impel is cast (and a little too soft IMO)

Nice frame! :cool:

my '95 Kilauea came with impels and i'm sure the Explosif that year came with the Mightys' so at a guess the Hot came with at least the Mightys'

I think a 100mm fork would be a bridge too far for the geometry of the frame. They're really designed for a 63mm fork, but 80mm is ok. With an earlyish SID, you can switch between 63mm and 80mm according to taste of course.

Ok - so over the past few weeks I have been spending more money that I dont really have on this bike, which I dont really need. I'm still waiting for some of them to arrive, but here is a list of what I have bought so far and hope to be fitting in the weeks to come.

Frame: 1994 Kona Hot

Fork: Rock Shox SID XC 80mm

Headset: Crank Bros Cobalt C Directset (hope it fits as like the compactness)
Stem: Thomson Elite 90mm 5 degree rise
Handlebar: Ti (unsure of make, was already on bike)
Grips: TBD
Barends: None

Brakes: Magura HS33
Brake Pads: Magura
Brake Cables: Magura
Cantilever cable hangers: n/a
Brake Levers: Magura

Shifters: XTR M950 8 Speed
Front Derailleur: XTR M950
Rear Derailleur: XTR M950
Derailleur Cables: XTR
Cassette: tbd (currently have M737)
Chain: HG50
Cranks: XTR M950
Crank Bolts: XTR
Chainrings: XTR
Chainring bolts: XTR
Bottom Bracket: Deore XT
Pedals: tbd (have some M737)

Hub Skewers: tbd
Rims: Choice of Mavic X517, X217 or Velocity Deep V Black
Hubs: XTR M950
Nipples: unknown
Spokes: unknown
Tyres: Onza Porc Classic
Tubes: tbd

Saddle: Charge Spoon Brown
Seatpost: Thomson Elite 27.0
Seatpost Binder: Kona

Weight: TBD

I'm hoping that the above components will work well with the bike and ultimately I may still go for a new paint job. But for now, I just want to get it built so that I can take it out for a good thrashing!

welcome to the "hot" brotherhood---its your choice, of course, but why on earth do you want to repaint it?? those bikes were meant to be ridden---if you want to see a hot with tired paint.......
BTW--what number do you have? enjoy

Attachments

• IMG_0137.JPG
    IMG_0137.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 3,712
  • IMG_0141.JPG
    IMG_0141.JPG
    102.4 KB · Views: 3,712
Back