1992 Dynatech (Yes - the one that hasn't snapped yet!)

BigYin

Dirt Disciple
Was just having a look at John Tomac's Raleigh that he rode in 1991 season. Couldn't help but notice one or two examples of 'design trickle-down' to my regular MTB ride, shown below pretty much standard...

11324606_f4f37210ba.jpg

or as it stands at the moment, fairly sensitively updated and modernised, hopefully without ruining the period piece appeal :LOL:

11324605_0b7ac21fc7.jpg

Even with the RC35's on and a pair of Tractor Tyres (Okay Tioga's) it weighs in at around 25lb, admittedly the wheels are pretty XC lightweight, but the Reynolds 2080 frameset (like 753 but oversize and with shorter butted bits at tube ends) definitely helps it along.

Nice Dynatech, not seen one of those for a while :D

Some of them used to have crazy paint jobs. Didn't some have ti tubes also?

I think the wild and wonderful metalic splatter paintjobs came in a couple of years after mine. The Ti Tubed ones were from 1993 iirc, using a load of plain gauge seam-welded titanium tubes sourced in russia, according to the bloke in my LBS back in the day. Some had 3 main tube's in Ti, but one of them was throughout (could have been the MT4)

25277881_f5d4897321.jpg

I seem to remember the following years range included one bike that had a pair of double-crown rigid forks, which must have been like riding a jack-hammer.

I had a MT2, MT4 and MT5, all snapped or de-bonded over time.

I do remember the old wives tail that spraying WD40 or GT85 on the tubes debonded the epoxy holding the tubes into the machined parts.

I had, loved and raced a Quantum.

Got pinched (mugged) off me in Taunton high street in '95 :cry:
Looking for another one, Ideally a 19" Quantum but I'm being realistic!

Anyone know of one anywhere, I'll take anything not snapped!

Loving that.

I raced a Dyntatech Mission (2070), again until it was robbed from my garage!!

Will scan some old pics soon and get them in the gallery.

MT4 - still going strong

I'm stil riding my Dynatech MT4 (the full ti version) - it must date back to '93 or '94 I think, have done loads of miles on it - all offroad (Yorkshire Dales, Lake District, Wales etc)
It originally came new with a pair of Rockshox 30s (?) - though the crown of the forks cracked after just one month! Replaced under warrantly; they lasted 10 years until no spares were avaialble (the seals had gone) - now sporting a pair of Marzocchi Bombers

No probs with the frame - never broken / cracked / debonded etc - and i always 'service' the bike wth WD40!! )the bottom bracket wore out and had to be redrilled or something like that after about 8 years)

Otherwise, bar a few scrathes and worn transfers, as good as new & is still used regularly - any one know where I can get replacement 'MT4' and 'Titanium' transfers from?

Cheers
Ants

update...

well, i nearly spoke too soon...

was at Coed-y-Brenin on friday, just about to head out to do the karrimor / redbull / MBR trails...

thats when i found out that one of the bolts holding the rear triangle in place (Where it meets the lug nr the top of the seat post tube) was missing. So i did what anyone else would do with a 'rare' bike.... went out and rode it anyway!

Got half way round when i noticed that the other bolt had fallen out, and i now had 'rear suspension' as the top of the rear triangle wasnt connected to the frame. Fixed it by shoving an allen key thru the hole and tying it in place with a bit of string, and completed the ride. Back at the bike shop place in the visitor centre, asked if they had a bolt to fix it properly. The guy there looked at the bike and said 'wow - I remember these - I used to race one...' - he was genuinely suprised to see an old MT4, and even more suprised (worried?) to see one ridden held together with string!

He didnt have a bolt, but when i said i was going on another ride with it tied up with string he looked on with disbelief... lol

anyway, got a bolt the next day, fixed it up (cheers Phil), and then did Church Stretton (Shropshire)

(oh, and wore out the granny ring, front hub, brakes and forks feel fubar'd as well... lol)

Long live the MT4....

:)

Back