1992 Trek 9000 - Finished 12/3/09

Pickle

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
GT Fan
Feedback
View
Since I started my MTB fetish in 1992 I have always admired the Trek 9000.

I saw pictures of one in the first MBUK I purchased, and swore then that one day I would own one.......

.......so, when I found myself with a few spare pounds in my back pocket I did a deal with Corduroyboy and enter this nice original frame and even better, the original Trek fork :cool:

The plan is to spend a few days buffing the frame and rear swingarm back to its original deep purple/green shine, and then drop some DX and XT bits on it.

I know that this bike doesnt carry the best reputation, but I dont care as it is one of one a handfull of bikes I want to own.

Attachments

• DSCN2088.JPG
    DSCN2088.JPG
    75.5 KB · Views: 6,514
  • DSCN2084.JPG
    DSCN2084.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 6,514
  • DSCN2083.JPG
    DSCN2083.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 6,515
  • DSCN2139.JPG
    DSCN2139.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 5,888
looks good! make sure you use some strong denture cream! BOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOING
BOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOING
BOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOINGBOING
:LOL:

I like it :cool:

All the early full bouncer stuff had there flaws but thats the beauty in them :cool:

Im looking forward to seeing the build :D

Yeah to be honest this is just about the only TREK bike I like anyway ;-) Hopefully I get a chance to pick one up cheap someday too... I just have to know what that thing rides like :cool:

Wow This brings back a few memories of BITD, Suspension was only just really coming in. the design looks flex prone and looks a bit flexed in the top pic. Just an observation though I'm all for it, an interesting and different bike for the site/collection :cool:

Oh 'a Trek 9000', something about that name I always liked. Never ridden one though and never known anyone that had one. You could do a nice write up and how it compares to the Proflex.

1st it was a proflex, then a specialized and now a trek. pickle has turned from the light of GT to the darkside!! :LOL:

looks like a good project, i agree with reannimation, something different and rarely seen and also an underdog and likely floored design but maybe a needed step design that helped to get us to where we are today.

:cool:

Please paint it black with a purple swing arm!

I loved these, never had one or rode one but it looks like nothing else!

Imagine it with trispokes! :cool:

Nice to read that this bike will be appreciated for what it is; a piece of mountain bike history.

Its probably going to ride like a dog, but thats all part of the fun. It was one of the first full suspension bikes ever made, so it cant be compared to the bikes of today.

Either way, along with my RTS, Zaskar and Pennine, its a keeper.

Back