retrobikeguy

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
Orange 🍊 Fan
Feedback
View
My latest vintage carbon :D , ugly to some but nice for others

first saw one of these in 1993 in an old MBUK advert (see scans section), it was so different I wanted one, and so as the years passed it has become more affordable to the likes of myself.

I bought it as a frame only with the headset so I used M737 xt (period) stuff and put some nos manitou comp forks I've had kicking around on it. weighs about 25lb as is.

121_2143.jpg

121_2149.jpg

121_2153-1.jpg

121_2158.jpg

would have loved the original rigid carbon forks, but sadly they were long gone :sad:

I'll be honest. It's not as ugly as I remember! They are certainly different! ;)

Seriously though, great retro machine and what amazing condition, Very cool! :cool:

Hi Lee,

As I stated before, to me the RAM is among the nicest early mono shape carbon frames. I also remember seeing one in the Rose Versand catalogue. Recall that one was labeled Yakama and it looked awesome with the Spengle wheels.

Only my tiny 2cts: I do not really get a vintage feel with that generation XT and I think it won't hurt when you get rid of some silver.

Great ride! Enjoy it!

- Melvin

All comments welcome Melvin,

The XT is all a straight transplant from the manitou, so was the easiest option and by silver I assume you mean stem & rims ? , I would like some nice spengle or spin wheels , they would look pesh on a carbon bike like this but alas - my money cupboard is very empty and such wheels are still bringing good money on the bay at the moment, maybe one day though eh

Mikee,

not really been out for a proper ride yet, it has been at my workplace until I can make space in the sh*thole shed - eventually :roll: , but just from riding it on tarmac to work it feels very comfy (but then, don't all bikes with riser bars) with a responsive back end, the stem may be a bit long so that could change in time.

Ps. sorry about the reflectors :oops: , only spare pedals I could find in the afore mentioned shed

How nice, I can remember when I saw the advert and ordered a catalogue, with a load of crazy paint options but were way way to expensive.Can remember it having a girvin flexstem in the ad if I remember rightly. Congratulations anyway mate looks fantastic, how much di you pay if you don't mind me asking?.

Lol thats fair enough, that really is a gorgeous looking frame though, certainly does it for me, I did have a catalogue still laying around but don't know if my girlfriend binned it recently. I'll have a look at some point if I've still got it for you if you want.

Back