1987 Fisher Montare XT

makster

Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Due to the police deciding to close the main road out of Bournemouth this morning (due to approx. 3 snow-flakes!) I have spent the day at home.
Split my time between tiling my kitchen :roll: and stripping my Fisher ready for restoration.
This is my first resto for about 10 years and am loving it already!
I picked this up on Ebay about 4 months ago. It was located in Leeds and jerky very kindly offered to collect it for me.
Due to me being very unorganised and Rob changing employer, I only got my hands on it a week ago.
First impressions were pretty good.
The paintwork is dreadfull, loads of chips and scuffs all over it.
The rest of it was just filthy! Its got the full M730 groupset and Araya RM20 rims. I love the Fisher Bulge bars and the Strong seatpost (looks ti?).
It seems that the only non-original part is the modern seat!

My plans for this are very simple. I want it to look like it did 22 years ago!
Actually, the dating of it is a bit confused. It has the colour scheme of an 87, but the Bulge bars were an 88 item.
It would be FAR easier if it was an 88 XT, as they were a solid red finish!

Anyhow, here are a few pics.....
The evening I collected..
DSC00962.jpg

All stripped down...
DSC00986.jpg

U brake with sharks-tooth and push-fit bottom bracket :cool: ...
DSC00988.jpg

The Bulge...
DSC00980.jpg

Next step is to find a decent powder coater/spray shop who are up to replicating the paint finish and source the replacement decals.
Then its a case of cleaning up and seeing what parts are up to keeping and what I need to find. Got to say that most of it looks excellent so hoping to keep replacement costs to a minimum.

Again, MASSIVE thanks to Rob for helping me with the logistics :cool:

That's lovely.

It's always really satisfying when you clean all the muck off the original parts to find they're in good nick after all, looks the case here. Love the original bulge bars and u-brake :cool:

cool! will be interesting to see how you get someone to replicate the paint finish, ive got a few frames that could do with that!

Good to see your gona keep it original, & not go the S/S route! :)

Good to see it clean at long last! :)

(Still dibs on the bars if you decide to use something else :p )

great looking bike and really looks in great shape for it's age- look forward to seeing this thread develop.

CTK":l6w7x8gy said:
Bike looks lovely...& Paint looks OK too?

No, its really quite bad :( There are knocks and chips all over it. Its strange, as the componenets are amazing considering their age. The cranks look pretty damn good and I haven't even tried polishing yet!
I'm planning to take my time and find someone who is confident of doing a good job on the frame.
If getting the fade correct is going to be a headache, I may go for one of the 88 colour schemes. Cant find any pics of the red XT, but this is the yellow Deore model (although this one has a lot of upraded XT bits on!)....

88MontareSide.jpg

Will probably strip the paint myself so I can take a look at whats underneath before its sprayed.
To find a 22 year old bike that still has its original tyres and grips is pretty amazing :D

those XT cranks have a 'champagne' finish which is lost as soon as they are polished, see if you can keep it. also try black rings.

just a cheesy suggestion!

I like it too.

Back