Mount Tam clunker

tam_shadow

Old School Hero
Hello from The Shadow of Mount Tam - long time lurker, first time poster.

Here's a hunk of pre-war steel I have been working up with help from some aging hippies in my neck of woods, it's been down the mountain a couple times so far and it's as rattly as I remember :) Pretty much a copy of a bike I rode down tam as a teen in the late 70s early 80s.

eb07.jpg

eb05.jpg

36 Schwinn made La Salle (B97 pretty sure...could be a C), Morrow coaster with 20T, Sturmey BF 90mm drum, Rigida wheels with DT spokes, original 52T "sweetheart" skiptooth sprocket and dogleg one piece crank, NOS B72 saddle. Bikemaster chrome euro moto bar with Joe Breeze shims and new Magura lever - have some "texas longhorn" bars due this week. VP bear trap pedals and AME grips. ...strictly downhill...

Thanks to Alan Bonds and Joe Breeze (and Charlie Kelly...he just doesn't know) I am recapturing my youth with disatrous consequences to my wallet and free time, but MAN is this thing a BLAST!

I have a few other pre war winter projects in the fire ...

Hello and welcome Tam Shadow!

That is one trully awesome ride you have!

Too bad we don't have much off road rides of that age in Europe. Always love to see them.

- Melvin

btw where is that 2nd pic? Isn't that the art(ist) village Sausalito? Remember seeing images of Sausalito that looked a bit like that.

Elev12k":1mh2gi1b said:
btw where is that 2nd pic? Isn't that the art(ist) village Sausalito? Remember seeing images of Sausalito that looked a bit like that.

Good eye! I grew up on a floating shack in gate 5, the old berth used to be where I took that shot so it was sorta a homecoming for me...the dock was the launch point for many a ride.

Thanks for all the hellos!

Fantastic job! That looks great. Chainring really looks the nuts.

Kinda dissapointed I have never ridden anything like that in anger. Must be a whole different (scary???) experience.

Back