Alpinestars Al Mega or Cro Mega

conceptsails

Dirt Disciple
Following my previous posts
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/forum/viewto ... light=mega
The frames are stripped and ready for action.
My feeling from the previous forum at the moment is to retro build the Al mega with DX and maybee modern build the Cro mega budget permitting.
No visibale cracks on either at the moment apart from the classic under the head tube hairline crack anout 10mm long in the paint on the almega. I remember my almega from BITD did this even though i was an 8 stone teenager hopefully its due to flex and is only in the paint but if i am going to ride this thing I guess i should be stripping the paint here for a closer look

Attachments

• cromega.JPG
    cromega.JPG
    34.7 KB · Views: 2,562
  • almega.JPG
    almega.JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 2,562
Hi, i think you should check out the mark on the headtube of the al mega and use that one if possible as it look's lovely in it's original paint job. Wouldnt strip it if you can help it as original decal's or pretty much obsolete. Cant help but notice that there seem's to be a dent in the horizontal stay. Checked mine and i dont have one on mine. Is that suposed to be there? Cheer's dave.

I think its to accomidate a botttle cage.. its on both inner stays and i remember it on my old one. Maybee yours is a larger frame that doesnt require it.. pretty sure this one is about an 18 and my old one was only 15.5. Who knows, but it looks pretty factory dented so I am reasonibly convinced its supposed to be there.

Yeh, that's wot was puzzling as it does look like it's supposed to be there. Good luck with the project and keep the update's going. Cheer's Dave.

dont panic, i was only goint to rub it down around the potential crack to have a look and then touch it back in again, the day glow gods would never allow such a sin as stripping the whole bike! I would never be able to wear a shell suit again!
I am thinking it needs white tyres though like Porcs or similar
and Purple annodized trim. proper '91 :cool:

Wow those are both stunning.

The 91' al-mega deserves special treatment (there can't be many around in that condition!), keep it retro as you say with period DX, maybe go with either Control Tech or Answer bar, stem and seatpost combination. That would rock IMHO.

The 92' cro-mega's are great too. Maybe have a bit more retro fun with this one. How about loads of red anodise?

If your stuck for anything drop me a pm I keep a bit of a stash of all things alpinestars.

all al mega craked unfortunately , that is why they stopped making bikes , too many returns .
so dont ride it .

the cro mega should be DX as well .

goodas12003":1hnvibu1 said:
Hi, i think you should check out the mark on the headtube of the al mega and use that one if possible as it look's lovely in it's original paint job. Wouldnt strip it if you can help it as original decal's or pretty much obsolete. Cant help but notice that there seem's to be a dent in the horizontal stay. Checked mine and i dont have one on mine. Is that suposed to be there? Cheer's dave.

Definitely for bottles ;) Had same on both mine years back !!!

Back