Project Proflex 9/12/12 page 5

jonnyboy666

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
i going to be coming to the end of my current project soon, my aluminium O, it will be back from the painters soon so i thought i'd turn my attention to the other back burner projects i have been thinking about! :D

1st one is the proflex, anyone know what year this one is? haven't really looked in to it yet but i'm guessing 97ish. the original plan was a propper paint job but then i thought bollox to that i'll polish it! so i have tested the nitro mors out on the seatstays and the paint came off easily and the tubes underneath look great and will be loads better when polished! :D

spec wise this will be a bit of a mess but will be the remains of other builds but hopefully what i have lying around will still be good enough for a nice machine.

i have NOS girvin single crown suspension forks, fsa bar/stem/post or easton bar/stem/post, i'll be running 9sp, deore rapid fire, xt mechs, xt brake levers, lx m600 v brakes and deore/mavic 717 black rims so i'm really excited now at the thought!! :D

so here's a couple of pics of the paint strip!!

Attachments

• Photo0012resize.jpg
    Photo0012resize.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 4,606
  • Photo0009resize.jpg
    Photo0009resize.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 4,606
  • Photo0010resize.jpg
    Photo0010resize.jpg
    25.7 KB · Views: 4,606
I think it'll be a '96 ;)

I have some info about XP-X frames if you want I can email them to you ;)

This nitro mors stuff ..... how good/easy is it to use?

Thinking if I strip the green Zaskar frame back and polish it up I might get more interest in it?

all help is good help!! :D

@daj it's ok but messy and you have to leave it on there a while then recoat and leave etc till it's all gone, can take a while, also depends on the frame material, aluminium is easier. then it'll need a good rub down and polish. patience is key!

That looks like a nice project looking forward to seeing how this shapes up- cool bike and too late now I know but I would have kept the orig paint, the orange and blue is a classic colour combo.

if the paint had been better i would have done just some of it but it's not really nice enough and i admit it, i like them perfect (to start with).

but i think it will be nice when it's done, i can't help myself really! :LOL:

check this shiny one with an added faux bar ;)

Attachments

• Simon's shiny faux bar.JPG
    Simon's shiny faux bar.JPG
    81.6 KB · Views: 4,561
i was told that there was a fox modernish upgrade, i assume someone welded on the bracket on the seat tube though, that is beyond my skill level! also looks like it steepened the head angle?

i have just finished polishing the seat stays, they look ok but the ends are cast and have a rough finish, i might have a rethink on a full polish, maybe just the front end and do the rear black.

then again, i'll phone hampshire plating in southampton and find out about stripping and polishing or whatever from them, see what they say, always good to get advice from people who do stuff like that every day. they did all the nuts bolts and fiddly bits on my motorbike and plated all the bits needed on my old bosses restoration BSA goldstar, quality was spot on.

either way it's all fun! :D

i'm so impatient. :x and i have discovered that i hate paint stripping and polishing :x

so i phoned hampshire plating and they said the chemical dip would eat my frame like it was your mum's best roast dinner! :x

bugger, so i phoned the powder coat guys who did the original paint on the ali O which was ok for the most part so i have given it to them to paint, the guy in there was quite interested so we'll see what happens now.

moral of story for me is :- if at first you don't succeed (because you made a mess off it!) give it to someone who knows what they are doing!!! then go home and admit it on retrobike!! :LOL:

Back