Chaser's Raleigh Dyna-Tech now restored [spec' added]

chaser

Senior Retro Guru
Hi All,

Well, finally, here it is....,

It's been an interesting [if frustrating at times] learning curve as I am new to Retro Bikes and spending my life on ebay ;)

Before anyone asks [I know these frames usualy had different coloured main tubes] no, it's not a re-spray.

I bought the frame from an ex raleigh employee who assures me that the frame was custom painted in 1990 at the factory and spent many years hung up in the RSP division offices. He even gave me the names of a couple of guys who still work at Raleigh who would vouch for it.

Most parts are NOS. The chainset, SS7 brake levers and rear mech are from my good friend and riding buddy, James, who has been a great source of information and inspiration, he lent me all his early 90's MBUK mags! Thanks J.

I still need to source a period saddle and a seatpost that weighs less than 400g :shock:

All in weight is just under 26 lbs. [Frame alone was 5lbs 3oz!!!]

Here is the full spec:

Frame: Raleigh Dyna-Tech 2070 [1990] with NOS and repro' decals
Fork: NOS Tange Big Fork
Bars: NOS Zoom Brahma with matching grips
Headset: NOS Shimano XT
Brake Levers: Dia Compe SS7 with Lizard Skin grips
Brake Canti's NOS Shimano LX
Cable Hanger: NOS Zoom with Syncros cable guide [added after pic]
Stem: NOS Syncros Cattleprod 140mm
Seatpost: NOS Kalloy / Thorn [to be changed]
Saddle: NOS WTB SST 2K [to be changed]
Rims: NOS Mavic 117 CD SUP Ceramic
Spokes: DT Comp' DB [Wheels built by Mark Swinnerton.., and are still 100% true even after some pretty tough rides]
Hubs: NOS Shimano M730 XT [Rear was a 6sp UG that I converted to a 7sp HG as I could only get the 130mm spacing I needed in 6 sp version]
Freehub: NOS 7sp Shimano Exage [and it is totally silent???]
QR Skewers: NOS Shimano XT
Cassette: NOS Shimano HG70 12/28
R Mech: Shimano M732 XT with Venhill Titanium pivot bolt and NOS Dura-Ace aluminium Jockey wheels
F Mech: NOS Shimano M735 XT
Shifters: NOS Shimano XT Thummies
Chainset: M730 Shimano XT 24/34/46
BB: NOS Shimano UN54 68x122
Pedals: Smimano M540 [ to be changed for M737's]
Tyres: Ritchey Z Max EVO WCS [to be changed for amber wall]
Tubes: Bonty XXX 90g with MBUK bullett valve caps!

Enjoy..... :D

Attachments

• forum1a.jpg
    forum1a.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 3,692
Thanks Guys!

BOTM ? I am not sure it's worthy after looking at some of the awesome machinery there.

What do you guys think, should I go black or polished with the seatpost?

Pls do you have any suggestions on a period [comfy] saddle - this bike gets ridden a fair bit so I need the comfort [I usually ride a Scott Spark full susser so I've gone a bit soft ;) ]

Thanks again for kind comments.

Chaser

Personally, I reckon stem and post should always match, so go polished :)

Early 90's I used a Turbomatic, then a Rolls and finally (and I still use them now on all my bikes) a Flite.

Bike looks great btw, really nice. Great job.

Excellent job fellah. Component choice has really let the frame colour pop out. :D

Saddle and post wise. I would also say a flite but a silver polished USE post, keep a racy look to the bike and the silver would pick up the forks and stem :cool:

You've done great work with that Chaser. Been looking forward to seeing it and it does not disappoint. Flite saddle with a shiny silver seat post and highly polished cranks would be my suggestion to finish the build in style.

Back