Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:53 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:34 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:38 pm
Posts: 724
Location: Cannock, Staffs, UK
sinnett177 wrote:
Have you ridden it yet chaser? The big surprise with these is how well they ride, I ride so much faster on mine than my old alpinestars (RIP). Out of interest what size frame is it?

Finish it off like people have suggested and get it in BoTM, think you'll be surprised by it's success.


Yes, I have already done a few rides [4 or 5 varying between 15 and 20] miles - and fell of too :cry: Only damaged the H/bar grip thank goodness.

It rides really well as you say, feels very stiff when pedaling hard, no sideways flex. Quite compliant over bumps on the back end too.

The real shock was going back to a rigid fork, narrow bars, long stem.. I really have to concentrate - feels like a cyclocross! Steering is really nice with no feeling of the front wheel 'tucking' on tight turns [even with the 140mm stem]

I really love riding this bike... I keep getting stopped by people asking what it is / how old is it / why am i riding in football boots :wink: No, really, it does attract a lot of attention - Gary Foord saw it and really liked it, said it was a very pretty bike and really took him back in time.

Doesn't quite have the credentials of your steed though Sinnett.

The size is 16" centre of BB to Centre of TT or 17" from centre of BB to top of seat tube. I think it is an inch smaller than yours judging by the line of the TT over the rear tyre.

Where abouts up north are you?

Chaser.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:38 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:38 pm
Posts: 724
Location: Cannock, Staffs, UK
MadCowKev wrote:
Nice work. I'd agree with the polished seatpost comments. Saddle choice is very subjective (for a rider)

I'd like to see amberwall tyres but then I always say that. :roll:


Looks like it is 100% vote for polished SP.

Thanks, I totally agree with you about amber wall tyres - I just could not find some nice light ones...

I also like 'bronze' Conti's too - I have one 1.9 Cross country in my garage with hardly any wear, I just can't find another one.

I have also seen some Pana' XC Pro with amber wall but they are a bit 'late' for this bike eh?

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Chaser


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:54 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:59 pm
Posts: 20771
Location: Sol Kitts
chaser wrote:
MadCowKev wrote:
Nice work. I'd agree with the polished seatpost comments. Saddle choice is very subjective (for a rider)

I'd like to see amberwall tyres but then I always say that. :roll:


Looks like it is 100% vote for polished SP.

Thanks, I totally agree with you about amber wall tyres - I just could not find some nice light ones...

I also like 'bronze' Conti's too - I have one 1.9 Cross country in my garage with hardly any wear, I just can't find another one.

I have also seen some Pana' XC Pro with amber wall but they are a bit 'late' for this bike eh?

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Chaser



Think conti call it dura skin and IIRC guybe had some 1.9's, should get a use post and a flite easily enough too 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:59 pm 
Deputy National AEC
Deputy National AEC
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 5169
Location: Cumbria, England.
chaser wrote:
The real shock was going back to a rigid fork, narrow bars, long stem.. I really have to concentrate - feels like a cyclocross! Steering is really nice with no feeling of the front wheel 'tucking' on tight turns [even with the 140mm stem]

The size is 16" centre of BB to Centre of TT or 17" from centre of BB to top of seat tube. I think it is an inch smaller than yours judging by the line of the TT over the rear tyre.

Where abouts up north are you?


Sounds like you've got the same set up as me. Mine is 18" so will be very similar.

I'm up in Rossendale near Blackburn. Perhaps we should have meet sometime at Cannock or something, maybe even a best of british retrobike ride!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:02 pm 
Deputy National AEC
Deputy National AEC
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:43 pm
Posts: 5169
Location: Cumbria, England.
On the subject of tyres I have a pair of Conti traction pro's 2.0" in bronze wall (?), i'd be wiling to swap the pair for your cross country 1.9"?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:12 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:38 pm
Posts: 724
Location: Cannock, Staffs, UK
Hi Sinnett,

Good MTB territory! I lived in Wigan for a while before moving to Cannock - I used to ride up around your way, but mostly up Rivington, nr Bolton.

Yes, a Best of British retro ride would be great - If you fancy a trip down to the Chase again just let me know... I can show you the 'old' Chase which we still ride a lot as well as doing the more well known 'Follow the Dog'

BTW, I forgot until now how great bar end are for climbing - I wonder why they lost favour with most riders. Fashion I guess.

Sorry, I will keep the XC 1.9 , I never got on with the Tractions. Thanks for the offer though.

:wink:

Chaser


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:21 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:38 pm
Posts: 724
Location: Cannock, Staffs, UK
kaiser wrote:
chaser wrote:
MadCowKev wrote:
Nice work. I'd agree with the polished seatpost comments. Saddle choice is very subjective (for a rider)

I'd like to see amberwall tyres but then I always say that. :roll:


Looks like it is 100% vote for polished SP.

Thanks, I totally agree with you about amber wall tyres - I just could not find some nice light ones...

I also like 'bronze' Conti's too - I have one 1.9 Cross country in my garage with hardly any wear, I just can't find another one.

I have also seen some Pana' XC Pro with amber wall but they are a bit 'late' for this bike eh?

Let me know if you have any ideas.

Chaser



Think conti call it dura skin and IIRC guybe had some 1.9's, should get a use post and a flite easily enough too 8)


Sorry to be ignorant, I'm still a newbie. What is IIRC? :?

I will give Guybe a try for the tyres.

Thanks,

Chaser.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:28 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:59 pm
Posts: 20771
Location: Sol Kitts
IIRC = If I Remember Correctly :wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:40 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:38 pm
Posts: 724
Location: Cannock, Staffs, UK
Thanks :wink:
Chaser.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 4:50 pm 
North Wales AEC / OWMTBC 2010 Champion
North Wales AEC / OWMTBC 2010 Champion
User avatar

Joined: Sun May 11, 2008 10:13 pm
Posts: 6066
Location: Chester
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMS_language

Useful for us old hippies to look cool in the gang :wink: :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cce, Google Adsense [Bot], kikideparis, severnthheathen, Stylus and 43 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group