Cannondale SM1000 1990

Inigo Montoya

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
this is more or less the starting point for a project. got this frame from ebay for ~17euros. its been welded at the headtube and the rest is in bad shape too. thats why i decided to put the bike together to see how it rides and if its worth restoring it to its former beauty.
got the parts from here, mtb-news.de and ebay. 100% used stuff. assembling the bike was fun and worked out quite well. what amazed me the most was the force40 brake setup. its quite easy to setup and performace is breathtaking! the front brake is comparable to a v-brake, no shit!
so, the plan is to take the bike to the trails for some rides. if the bike and i survive, i'll get it resprayed. :)

Frame:
Cannondale SM1000 (1990)

Fork:
Cannondale Pepperoni (1991)

Headset: Ritchey Logic (1", very low stack height)
Stem: Syncros Cattleprod (filed off noodle)
Handlebar: Syncros (cut down to :( )
Grips: Ritchey WCS
Barends: -

Brakes: Shimano Deore DX BR-MT62
Brake Pads: Shimano
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Dia Compe
Brake Levers: Shimano Deore XT ST-M095

Shifters: Shimano Deore XT ST-M095
Front Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT FD-M735
Rear Derailleur: Shimano Deore XT RD-M735
Derailleur Cables: whatever
Cassette: Shimano HG70
Chain: Shimano Dura Ace
Cranks: Shimano Deore FC-MT60
Crank Bolts: whatever
Chainrings: Shimano
Chainring bolts: whatever
Bottom Bracket: Shimano Deore
Pedals: Shimano Deore XT PD-M735

Hub Skewers: Shimano Deore XT
Rims: Ritchey Vantage Comp
Hubs: Shimano Deore XT HB-M730 & FH-M732
Nipples: whatever
Spokes: whatever
Tyres: Panaracer Smoke & Dart
Tubes: Schwalbe

Saddle: Ritchey Logic
Seatpost: Ringle Moby 27,2mm
Seatpost Binder: whatever

Weight: whatever

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

main.php

AHHHHHHHHHH
Thats what i had way back then
Im sure it was called an sm2000 though?? :?
I had pace rc 30's fitted and the same syncros stem as yours, a few blue bits that just nicely highlighted the little blue traces in the black/white fade.
You simply MUST fix this baby up!
I bloody loved it , until i snapped the frame jumping some roadworks! :roll:

GC

None sadly

should find plenty of inspiration on vintagecannondale.com

the one i'm thinking of is red/white/blue with chevrons making up some of the red and blue. was about 1990

Andy

:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
sm1000qy6.jpg

I ever see an SM1000 but I don't remember were...
For the team paint job : I don't remember if C'dale has a team in 1990. In the 1990 catalog, you have this picture
199031pc4.jpg

I think that the C'dale racers used the bikes of the stock.
If you want to respray in white-black (the most beautifull color), I can give you the vector drawing I did for mine ;)

For the SM2000, the bike was blue-blue pearl with pink decals ;)

Your C'dale EST pepperoni fork is funny front. But, prefer a ritchey if you can ;)

On other hand : the cable housing for the rear brake has to go from the lever to the rear brake ! the plastic on the horizontal tube isn't strong enough !

24pouces":3gnll04c said:
:cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
I ever see an SM1000 but I don't remember were...
your thread was an important source of inspiration, thank you!
If you want to respray in white-black (the most beautifull color), I can give you the vector drawing I did for mine ;)
cool! initially i though about going for a different paintjob, but the black'n'white sceme works so nice with the syncros stem.
Your C'dale EST pepperoni fork is funny front. But, prefer a ritchey if you can ;)
i bought the pepperoni first. then i was searching for a ritchey fork for quite a while. after installing the headset i gave the pepperoni a try and i decided to stick with it. perfect match for the bulky frame and stem.
its from a 1991 SE1000 afaik.
On other hand : the cable housing for the rear brake has to go from the lever to the rear brake ! the plastic on the horizontal tube isn't strong enough !
well, you are right. the SM1000 from 1990 has no real cable stops for the rear brake cable housing. the cable housing runs all the way trough 3 cable guides on the top tube to the rear brake. the problem is that these cable guides were missing when i got that frame. so i decided to get some convetional cable stops and rivet them on the top tube.

Back