1995 Sunn Radical 2 FULL BIKE PICS 05-09-2010

Dr.Robotnik

Senior Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Well I thought I'd start a thread for my build and with this list online I can look at it to make sure I get everything over Christmas. I definitely have my work cut out for me though. This bike was raced hard but I think I have most of the bits.

Frame: Sunn Radical 2 -- Needs new pivots, bearings, decals, chrome, shock spring paint, rear end paint, front and rear end dent removal, rear gear cable stop re-attaching, new bolts, new swingarm main bearing cover.
Forks: Chaos with 25mm Axle -- Needs new decals, new cable stop, refinishing, re-setting up, restore top caps.
Stem: Sunn -- Needs refinishing, rust removal and polishing, new bolts.
Handlebars: Sunn with Sunn brace -- Need refinishing
Aheadset: Diacompe -- Needs new bearings and grease.
Grips: AME Tri -- Needs cleaning in iso propynol alcohol
Brake Levers: Magura HS33 DH master cylinder and levers -- Needs refinishing, new bolts and new master cylinder/helicoiling stripped clamp bolt on one master cylinder.
Brakes: Magura HS33 -- Needs refinishing
Front hub: Sunn -- Needs new bearings and grease.
Spokes: DT Swiss DB
Front Rim: Mavic 121 Ceramic
BB: Shimano -- Clean
Cranks: Shimano DX drive side and Middleburn RS7 non drive side -- Need Middleburn drive side.
Pedals: Onza HO Ti -- Needs cleaning, new bolts, and paint.
Brake Cables: Shimano -- Attach
Shifters: Grip Shift 800 XRAY or Grip Shift 600 -- Clean
Gear Cable: Shimano
Seat Pin: Zero Components -- Clean
Seat Post: Sunn New bolts, polish
Seat: Flite Titanium -- Re-cover
Rear Cassette: Shimano XTR -- Clean
Rear Derrailleur:DX or XT(though it's missing the back plate,bolts and jockey wheels) -- Clean, polish
Jockey Wheel: Shimano and Alloy -- Clean, strip anodizing, polish
Chain: Sachs -- Clean
Rear Hub and QR: Shimano STX or XTR -- Clean and rebuild
Rear Rim: Mavic 217 Ceramic or Mavic 121 Ceramic -- Clean and rebuild
Spokes: DT Swiss DB
Front Tyre: Continental or Michelin Wild Gripper or IRC Kujo DH -- Clean
Rear Tyre: Continental or Michelin Wild Gripper or IRC Kujo DH -- Clean
Front Derrailieur: Shimano -- Clean
Front Chain Guard: Mojo Mr Dirt -- Clean
Tubes: Hutchinson DH
Valve Caps: Middleburn
Crank Bolts: Zero Components Titanium -- Clean
Chain Rings: Midleburn -- Clean

If anyone could reccomend a good powder coater and chromer, I'd be very grateful and if anyone can post any material on this bike or about the other parts and issues I have with them I'd appreciate it.

cheers and Merry Christmas.

I found a picture in the archives, thanks Elev12k!!!!! This is my bike with slightly different parts and paint colour, but otherwise the same!!

s25C.jpg

i have a few pics of this bike being raced by anne caro, down cap d'ail with her front brake cable snapped :shock:

she still won by over 6 secs!

get some pictures of yours up ;)

that bike is probably one of the best DH bikes ever .

the suspension design was " inspired " by the GT RTS .

Radical 2C

Thanks guys, I can't wait to get started.

crud":3bh5nm7h said:
get some pictures of yours up ;)

I don't have the bike with me at the moment but will be going home on Christmas Eve and will take pictures then.

In the mean time could you post your pictures? :oops:

The suspension linkages are similar to the RTS however another small linkage has been added to make the rear end active. It is the same linkage design as on moto cross bikes...

More from Elev12k in the right colour scheme (except my rear swing arm matches shock spring red), same bars and stem, though mine doesn't have disc mounts...

http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... temId=5738
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... temId=5741
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... temId=5744
http://www.retrobike.co.uk/gallery2/mai ... temId=5733

Cheers

Thanks to moogli a member of the http://www.sunnproteam.com forum I was able to find a picture of my bike!!

On page 48 and 49 of the 1996 catalogue here is my bike.

mergedsunnradical2.jpg

This would date it from the 1995 season correct? My bike was bought from a team member and brought to the UK. It was/is the same specficication as the above bike. I even have the cycling top pictured.

Mine came to me in this condition and I would like to return it to the specification pictured, but I am missing lots of bits for this build for sure.

I need help finding the bits though, can anyone help? This is where I am having problems with the spec, perhaps you recognise the bits?

Frame: decals and chrome

Fork: decals and paint

Headset: What model?
Grips: black grip shift

Brakes: xtr front, LX rear?
Brake Pads: XTR front LX rear?
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: XTR front Sunn rear
Brake Levers: XTR???
Rear brake brace:??????

Rear derailieur: XT???

Chain device: Home made and DCD in red???
Rear derraileur tensioner:??????
Cranks: LX ??
Pedals: LX??

Hub Skewers: Rear Sunn Brubz??
Rims: Mavic 121 ceramic rear
Hubs: Rear Sunn Brubz??
Tyres: Hutchinson????
Saddle: ??????

Finally the pictures!

Well finally I have it again and here are some pictures of how I found the bike at my parents place over Christmas. So much to do to get this bike tip-top again.

Picture68.jpg

Picture71.jpg

And now it is partially stripped.

The Radical 2 frame and Chaos rear shock.

Restoration001.jpg

Restoration006.jpg

Restoration007.jpg

Restoration010.jpg

Restoration015.jpg

Restoration009.jpg

Restoration016.jpg

Sunn Chaos forks

Restoration017.jpg

Restoration019.jpg

Massive Sunn front hub with 25mm through axle

Restoration021.jpg

Restoration024.jpg

Sunn DH bars, I have the brace but it's not pictured

Restoration004.jpg

Also, have I found the rear XT M737 hub I require on the rear of the bike? Can anyone identify this hub, it's missing its sticker and rubber seal?

Restoration022.jpg

If it is the right one, are these the right quick releases to go with this hub?

Restoration025.jpg

More to come is to complete the stripping and to assemble the bits I already have.

Cheers

id love to see this built and running in current condition. but not restored if you know what i mean, looks to be great fun.

that looks ace. good luck with the build. is do you definately need chroming or can you polish instead. as far as i know it is no longer possible to get anything chromed in the uk ( so i was told by an alloy wheel refurbisher)

kase1983":3mgyr5x1 said:
id love to see this built and running in current condition. but not restored if you know what i mean, looks to be great fun.

I am not sure I know what you mean? Just wipe it down and re-assemble as it is? I don't mean to offend the purists but...

I am not sure I want to do that, as there are some bits on this bike which have been bothering me for years (since I got it in 1997).

The rear LHS canti stud has had a botched weld repair underneath (before my time) and is loose. Also there are a few dents in the rear swing arm and the cable guide for the rear dérailleur has fallen off (though I have had it saved in a box for years). Finally the original paint has been rattle can, sprayed red, back in the day to smarten the bike up, but it is now fading and flaking.

The shock spring is also chipped and faded.

I know it would be nice to have the original paint, but that was painted over and dull in 1997.

Then onto the suspension linkages. I replaced the bushes (stock items from the local bearing shop) when I got it but the pivot pins were already sloppy and worn. Sunn back in the 90's and NOW (despite what their website says), don't seem to want to help with support, so I haven't been able to replace them with stock parts. I did machine a few in the 90's, but I did not heat treat them and they were one of my first attempts at lathe work, so they aren't perfect.

I now have access to a full machine shop and will reproduce a couple of sets and harden the steel this time and shim the rear end.

I don't want to change to much and just want to get the bike into the condition I bought it BITD but with decent paint, dent free and with a functional rear end.

This was my first proper DH race bike (I started out fully rigid) and I went to many races and had my best results on this machine. I have had a lot of fun on it just making do with sloppy suspension and crap paint but now I want something better for it.

As a kid I used to draw it in my school books and imagine what it'd be like if it worked properly. I just want to fulfil that childhood dream and ride it again now without breaking it irreparably.

By the way that's not meant to be an abrupt dismissal of anyone else's opinion, I just thought I'd write what/why I am doing what I am with this bike. I am always open to suggestions.

I can post some pictures of it running back in the day though, if I ever get a chance to get home and scan them.

Back