1991 Kona Pink - ARGOS Content

DeletedUser006

Old School Grand Master
Here is my latest project aka secret christmas build for the wife ;)

I was after a 16" Kona for what seemed like ages and one eventually showed up here and less than 5 miles away............ spooky.

I got it in a very used condition and was only after the frame, forks and stem. I had to take it to Argos to get a cable stop replaced on top tube as it had been drilled and bodged :twisted: I decided to have an additioal cable stop added to enable V brakes to be fitted and had the rear rack mounts removed to clean the lines on rear. I was going to have it powder coated but after much umming and ahhing fell sucker to the full Argos treatment.

Its been finished in what I can only describe as Strawberry Milkshake pink with Decals from Gil_m fitted by Argos and laquered ontop. The decals are 96 as I prefer these to the 91. Forks and Stem have been finished by Argos also but in a Black Metalic which looks superb.

I havnt skimped on the build either for several reasons, 1= Couldnt have the wife riding a P.O.S., 2= Had some M950 parts spare so kept the theme where I could. 3= If I want to ride it the XTR will hide the Pink :LOL:

I must admit I was horrified to choose this colour at Argos after seeing all the samples and finished frames there. I must now admit that it looks so much better than I could have ever imagined (My camera is not the best)

I will get some more pics when totally finished I am building at my parents house which is a great help or it would have been spied.

Let me know your thoughts

Cheers

Pink017.jpg

Pink001.jpg

Pink005.jpg

Pink008.jpg

Pink010.jpg

Pink012.jpg

Pink013.jpg

Frame: Kona 1991 Lavadome 16"

Fork: Kona 1991 P2

Headset: XTR Threaded 1 1/8
Stem: Kona Velocity
Handlebar: Kona Alloy

Brakes: XTR M950 V's
Brake Cables: XTR Grey
Brake Levers:XTR V

Shifters: XT Thumbies running x8 .......... what else :LOL:
Front Derailleur: TBC
Rear Derailleur: XTR M950
Derailleur Cables: XTR Grey
Cassette: XTR M950
Chain:TBC
Cranks:XT HT1
Chainrings: XT
Bottom Bracket: XT
Pedals: TBC

Hub Skewers: XTR M950
Rims: Mavic SUP Grey
Hubs: XTR M950
Tyres: Panaracer Fire XC 1.8's

That's lovely and liked the pink colour too, I think your wife will be pleased with it, you and Cass have built pink retro Kona for the wives, a good choice.

It's a cracker and you did a great job on it. :)

can i ask how much it cost you for the respray, as i am wanting to get my kona's frame and forks and a stem and decals provided by gil_m resprayed and attached?

mattbrown":2330ak0v said:
can i ask how much it cost you for the respray, as i am wanting to get my kona's frame and forks and a stem and decals provided by gil_m resprayed and attached?

Ouchy Ouchy Ouch :shock:

Will PM ya

ringlemike":8me8cdgq said:
what a fantastic build - well done you! :D

Thanks for your kind coment RM , it will be a well done when I get a chain, saddle , pedals, grips and front mech :LOL: Then i can test ride it which I am looking forward too :cool:

top marks, looks really good. argos have a reputation for costing alot, but the results are stunning, every time.

MAXTHEROTTI":2t1v7hd3 said:
nice job and i even like the color :oops: :oops: :oops:

Agreed Rob, just the right shade without being OTT.

It's looking really smart, hope she likes it.

Shorten that front brake cable though..... ;)

Back