The 'RetroBike' Build

Hilts

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Thought I would give you the low down on my latest build as it has a very ‘Retrobike’ feel. Reason for this is that virtually every part I needed for the bike was either sourced directly from a fellow forum member, or as a result of a link/tip off from a forum member. It is E-bay free !

Some of the purests among you may role your eyes with the choice of groupset, wheels, brakes etc as it’s not the same year as the Frame/Forks, but I desperately wanted to build this frame and ride it so using the parts from a redundant bike seemed to make sense. I will probably try and get a few more original era parts as time goes by but I couldn’t see it sitting in the shed unrideable anymore.

So a big thank you to all that made it possible:

Frame – Kona Explosif (1990) (From Rascal, originally owned by Adamgent)
Forks – Kona Track Twos (From Jez)
Stem – Tioga T-Bone (from Eric at BikeBoosting, courtesy of RetrobikeGuy) – May actually use the profile in the pic as prefer the reach/rise.
Quick Release Skewers – On One (From Gaf16)
Canti Brake Blocks – Deore LX (From Digger90)
All other parts from 94 Stumpjumper bought from Mate, only Retrobike connection here is that Chris2lou has taken the Frame and Forks off me..

Obviously it’s not finished yet but hoping to get round to that in the next few weeks.

Oh and Kona’s are COOL !!

main.php

Nice built .

hopefully , I will see it soon in action .

the stumpjumper build is going well , all parts have arrived and it should be painted by the week end .

Always been Explosif mad ever since the heady days of 89 as you probably saw from the 'Retro hilts' thread..

It was searching for an 88 that led me to this Site so I thought n Explosif build was a fitting way to start the tinkering in the new house.

Very overexcited about my trip to 'THE GARAGE' on friday to pick up the original 1990 ...

Think I have everything I need, just in need of more hours in the day to finish it ..

Grips - check
Brake levers and cables - check
Gear levers and cables - check
Chill pills - check

finished: :D first bike I have built up from nothing...

main.php

main.php

main.php

Thanks to all who donated/sold parts to get this thing together, and a big thank you to Chris who helped finish off the last few jobs yesterday..

Cheers Heathy
Front mech, chainset and cranks are Deore LX, and the rear mech is STX , all taken from a Stumpy circa 94.

Back