late 60s (80s refinish) Zieleman Type Special !

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
Maybe some of you remember this bike from the Roadbike-section =>

2767000889_cf63028e85_b.jpg

More pictures

It are pics from right after I picked it up. It was the start of the project. The bike got a refinishing in the 80s and since than wasn't hardly used. Paint looked shiny like new, but unfortunately little rust worms develloped under the paint here and there. Probably it had been parked away in a moist environment. That had to be corrected. After a few failed attempts with cleaning and touching up, off it went to painter Brady van Dalen, who did a thorough job.

DSC_0091.jpg

Headtube and panels were wrapped. They were in excellent shape. I can tell the result doesn't show any transition from black to panel or headtube.

DSC_0014.jpg

Non covered area sandblasted.

DSC_0015.jpg

Maybe some of you recognize the red frame? The next project.

I had already decided to stick to the concept how I got it, what means 60s bike, 80s refinishing. That is its history. For the parts I decided to go a bit more exotic and quirky though. Months before I got hands on a RIH Bustraan with Super Record, Roval wheels and Weinmann Delta Pro brakes. About the most exquisite and obscure 80s stuff you can think of. The RIH was way to tall for me though. The RIH got the honour of donating his magnificent parts to the Zieleman frame.

Like all my bikes I built my bikes with surgical precission so moons later, last Saturday, I got it finished. Fellow bike addict and professional photographer Erik Boschman took a few 1st pics on the last Sunday 'Bikes and Coffee' event. Here they are:

3089909337_6fbd6abe7e_b.jpg

...and with its proud ower =>

3089921161_849db5db55_b.jpg

Ko Zieleman, Holland. Reggestraat, Amsterdam to be exactly. Also a first glimpse of Cinelli lugs and the Weinmann's =>

3090814018_63e6c723aa.jpg

Built by the older Ko Zieleman. Have been told stays with ''Zieleman'' tops denoted they are built by the younger.

3089960481_8983e61e21.jpg

The Weinmann Delta Pro brakes =>

3089971331_a3a08dafeb.jpg
dv333h.jpg

Still have the caps, but prefered the setup with tape, just to prevent from losing them.

Dart Vader approved.

Zieleman pantograped Cinelli 1R stem =>

3090793464_17ce0ce720.jpg

Type Special, let there be no doubt on that ;) =>

3089951417_aa18b16e32.jpg

Speclist

Frame: Reynolds 531 tubing, Cinelli lugs, Campagnolo dropouts
Fork: Reynolds 531 blades and steerer, Cinelli crown, Campagnolo dropouts
Stem: Cinelli 1R, Zieleman pantographed
Bar: Cinelli
Brakes: Weinmann Delta Pro brakes and levers
Headset: 600
Rear mech: Super Record
Crank: Super Record
Shifters: Nuovo Record
Front mech: Nuovo Record
Bottom bracket: Pragmatic and buttersmooth DA-NR mix
Pedals: Nuovo Record (on the pics Nuovo Gran Sport)
Wheels: ROVAL Aero wheels, flat spokes, sealed cartridge bearings, black flange, silver body
Saddle: TURBO Bernard Hinault
Seatpost: Stronglight Aero
Seatbinder bolt: Campagnolo
Bar tape: Benotto

Hope to have more pics up in future, with more covering of details.

Now I am supposed to ask you what you think of it. Well, okay tell it. I already know for myself though. I like it. I do and I should after all that went into it.

:cool:

Absolutely stunning build.

The paint restoration is pretty cool. Is that something the painter offered as atandard or did you request it. Blending old + new paint can't be easy!

Is it a rider or garage queen ;)

i did actually notice the roval wheels in the pics the other day, they are cool, my old boss has a set, the front one still gets used in his modern time trial bike in the front on a windy day! 20 year old wheel in £2500 modern carbon bike! cool! :cool:

looks very nice, like it with the white tape and saddle.

i had the privilege to see this beauty in real last sunday, gorgeous and tastefull
Great job Mel

It looks so fast standing still! Cannot stop looking at it :cool: . Looks my size too! Also what about the reynolds frame decal. I noticed before the restoration it is there and now has gone. Is it because the decal was a more modern version compared to the forks? One of the classiest builds,awesome.

John":293906p8 said:
:cool:

Absolutely stunning build.

The paint restoration is pretty cool. Is that something the painter offered as atandard or did you request it. Blending old + new paint can't be easy!

John, I went to the painter and discussed the matter. The partially repaint was considered doable and the most practical solution. The panels were absolutely spotless. The headtube section was spotless. This solution saved me having panels made (they are not readily available) and refinishing the relatively complex headtube section with its 2 colours and cut outs (and decal again).

That is was considered doable had was for a substantial part of course due to the fact it is black and not, say Fat City Team Violet.

Painter Bradey not only sprayed black up to the original black, but also used clear over the entire frame to create an even, closed suface.

I really can't see or feel any sign of a transition. It is very well done. Yes, final factor in the equation: That this all worked out so good of course wouldn't be possible without the level of expertise and skills someone like Bradey v Dalen has.

This pic should show you a transition area =>

3089976993_6c2208a0df.jpg

Nothing.

Is it a rider or garage queen ;)

Good question.

The essence bicycles is they bring you from A to B. Roadbikes are supposed to help you doing it in a fast manner and mountainbikes are for going through rough terrain. Normally I ride all my bikes like I would ride an average bike from the LBS. It seems there are two exeptions in the current stable though: This Zieleman and the full suspension DH rig Koga SkyExpension. The are ridden, but in a slightly moderate manner compared to what they are intended for.

Really nice, clicked on this thread a few times now. Every one of your bikes convince me to go the retro route for my next road bike rather than new.

jonnyboy666":bi459unv said:
i did actually notice the roval wheels in the pics the other day, they are cool, my old boss has a set, the front one still gets used in his modern time trial bike in the front on a windy day! 20 year old wheel in £2500 modern carbon bike! cool! :cool:

looks very nice, like it with the white tape and saddle.

Yes, the original configaration with white tape and saddle was neat too. Would I have gone for a more traditional build, than I would without doubt have opted for the more 'romantic' white again. I choose for going more towards having it look like a kind of 'weapon' with its aero kit and so on. I think I wouldn't be able to achieve the same 'dramatic', 'sinister' look I wanted with white tape/seat. Haven't tried it though. Maybe I will still do in future, to see what I get.

Roval wheels are Cool indeed :cool: No idea how to do maintanance on them though. Are they easy to centre for example?

Back