1996 Rafty Funnel

Elev12k

BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
rBotM Winner
Feedback
View
As most of you probably are not so familiar with the Rafty brand, first an introduction on Rafty: Rafty was a small framebuilder in Haarlem, The Netherlands. All frame's were custom made and Rafty's can be considered as very exclusive. I won't be susprised if all polished Rafty's can be counted on only one hand. The frames were built by Edward Hagen, over here also known as iceskater. For additional information go to http://www.hagencycle.nl/ were you will be informed on Edward's current brand Hagen Cycles.

I recently took notice of the information that the Rafty brand is likely to make its return!

RaftyFunnel1.jpg

RaftyFunnel2.jpg

The machined stem is an ALPA (later Footwork), another Dutch brand from back then.

RaftyFunnel3.jpg

Manitou Mach 5 SX. In another bike I have a RondWP Hydro Pro 2. Of course that would better matching, because also Dutch. Maybe I will swap.

RaftyFunnel4.jpg

RaftyFunnel5.jpg

Notice the square tubed rear triangle. In the background a storks' nest :p

Frame: custom Rafty Funnel, Oria 7020 aluminium, polished
Fork: Manitou Mach 5 SX
Cranks: LX
Front mech: LX
Rear mech: LX
Shifters: GripShift SRT600
BB: XT
Headset: Tioga
Hubs: LX
Brakes: Magura HS22 Classic
Pedals: vp semi clipless things
Bar: Ritchey (Comp?)
Stem: ALPA
Saddle: Fizik Nisene
Rims: some kind of ceramic stuff, I thought Rigida
Bottlecage: H2O blue

Furthermore: I took off the Magura brake QR at the rear and mounted a burly brakebooster to stiffen up the rear under heavy braking. Blue ControlTech bar ends.

:idea: Kinda looks like a frame that a custom frame builder by the brand of Hartmann used to make , not totally sure but I think they had a model called Qram :?: :?: :?: I remember seeing one in an MBUK, any one remember them :?:

not totally sure...but I think Hartmann produced big 'hair dryer' shaped frames from carbon fibre

There was no Hartmann distributed in NL. I know one from a review in MBi, a green Wild Cat. That one has a traditional frame with made out Oria 7020. They were Swiss.

This Rafty Funnel AS (AS means anti-social and implies round tubing for the rear) is at the moment carefully restored by a another Rafty owner in Holland:

By clicking on the pic you will see how it looked like before he acquired it :shock: Much respect for this restoration job.

rafty%20rebuild%202.jpg

Closer look at the Footwork hub. Other Footwork parts include: rear hub, stem, rear canti's and brake booster

Footwork & Rafty:

Rafty1320.jpg

Pedro van Hout (Footwork) and (probably) Edward Hagen (Rafty)

Rafty2600.jpg

This model were called MHB Altzheimer :roll: Intended for Trial

Footwork3440.jpg

Footwork2400.jpg

Footwork1400.jpg

Different, yes, but they also had a more conventional design; the Heamerhoid.

Rafty brochure
RAFTY1700.jpg

Pricing

I remember drooling over a Bugatti blue Funnel with Manitou EFC, Maguras, flesh Psychos and many nice bits on the '95 FietsRAI exhibition. Years later I were able to acquire mine at a favourable price.

A bit a poor quality pic, but here another Funnel:

Rafty2.jpg

Rafty's mostly looked very wild. They also had a cool, wild image. Rafty does have a cult status overhere. True Dutch cult ;)

Back