1994 Marin Palisades Trail - change of direction page 3

Benandemu

Retrobike Rider
Gold Trader
Feedback
View
This is the latest project in my stable of Marins.
It is a 94 Palisades Trail that i bought with the intention of cleaning and using. I will be doing some long rides next year (coast to coast amongst a few others) and needed something more than a road bike. Updates will follow as I go along.
The rough plan is Strip all the paint and respray white with Black decals. The groupset will be XT M737, and I need to find a Flite saddle as all the others are spoken for.
Ignore the seatpost in the photo!

DSC01104.jpg

Stripped all the paint off the frame today and the rubbed down the surface rust.
A horrible job. I wish I'd taken it down the road to the metal stripper now.
I will etch prime it in the morning, and then get the first coat of White on.
I'm undecided yet, whether to have Black or White forks.

DSC01245.jpg

DSC01248.jpg

DSC01242.jpg

I did get a bit worried at one point as I noticed a big gash in the chainstay, but luckily it hadn't gone through. Saved me a repair, but highlighted that you never know what lurks below the painted surface.
I was actually amazed to see so much surface rust, that would have just gone worse, had I not chosen to strip and restore it.

DSC01243.jpg

DSC01249.jpg

I thought about removing the canti stop bridge as I will run V-brakes, but realised that it's a lot of work for aesthetics only. The pannier mounts were always going to stay, as I will need to fit one at some point, due to the kit required for long distance rides.

DSC01244.jpg

Crikey, I can appreciate how much effort has gone into this so far. I think it will make a cracking long distance bike.

Should look great in white, i'd go for black forks with a black stem, always like that look. I would put the effort in now though to remove the canti hanger, once painted you'll always look at it and wish you'd removed it and for what, half an hours graft, go on get the hacksaw out and say goodbye.

Keep the updates coming.

I'd advise against removing the canti stop bridge as V's can be difficult to get to co-exist with panniers. The rack stays can be just in the way of the noodle.

I'm a bit of a purist and will leave the canti bridge in place. No point in removing a piece of kit that may one day serve a use.
This will be a working bike!

Not had chance to etch prime yet, so it's been stuck next to a radiator for the week.

I managed to get a guy in the US to send me a NOS Odyssey Pro headset in Black with a 32mm stack height which matches my forks exactly. I always wanted one of those headsets in 1 inch for my 1990 Team Ti. I even ordered one from Odyssey back in 97, but they only did 1 1/8th sadly. 11 years later and another excuse to buy one, this time half the price!

Struggling with the seatposts though. I'm sure this is 26.4mm, of which there is very little around, especially in Black. A USE may be the option, but the shim will look odd against the curved seat tube top. The seatpost in the above picture was a spare old XT one I had knocking around and that was too big at 27mm.

I also need to pop to my local sign shop and have some decals copied from my genuine decal stocks. I like the earlier font up to 1993. The rounded solid letters just look better. Their colour scheme and decals went all serious and conservative for a while after that. Besides, there's no difference between the frames over the 2 years.

Marindecals1.jpg

Photos will follow once it's primed.

That frame has cleaned up really well :cool:

If it helps you with the setpost sizes, my 90 BV is also 26.4.

WD :D

Found time to clean up the stem today.
When I stripped each component down, it was all in fairly good, but grubby condition. As the roller was already broken, I had no problem in removing the canti stop and roller hanger. Took longer than expected actually! I was quite pleased at how light those stems are - less than 200g without the bolts. You can just see the gold brazing on the underneath, before all evidence is covered.

DSC01257.jpg

Then a coating of etch primer.

DSC01252.jpg

DSC01261.jpg

P1000447.jpg

P1000460.jpg

The bars received the same treatment, and they are both now waiting on some black paint.

P1000448.jpg

P1000449.jpg

P1000463.jpg

The frame was put outside on the washing line, and a spray with the etch primer again...

DSC01253.jpg

It will just need a little rubbing down before the White paint is applied.

P1000450.jpg

P1000451.jpg

P1000452.jpg

P1000455.jpg

P1000456.jpg

P1000457.jpg

P1000458.jpg

P1000459.jpg

Sorry for the quantity of photos, but I feel they give more info than words.

Back