Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:00 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:25 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:26 pm
Posts: 852
Location: Stressville
Pitfalls of the retro bike bug I'm afraid, same s**t happened to me with an old White Spider. Absolutely gutted at the time :cry:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:37 pm 
Mr Darcy
Mr Darcy
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2005 8:36 pm
Posts: 5687
Location: Bicester
Just put it on the garage wall. These things make good ornaments :)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: DYNA-TECH 2070
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:59 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:50 pm
Posts: 612
Location: Lazy Town
Just to put the record staight here.

1. These were not poorly built !! All Dyna-tech frames were hand built by Raleigh Special Products Division.

2. The damage seen in the picture is a result of the chain dropping and jamming between the chainset and the chainstay, a fault of poor gear adjustment, not poor materials or manufacturing.

3. These frames were not brazed or welded, but bonded with special high temperature adhesive used in the areospace industry. Any attempt at using heat on the chainstay joint will result in destroying the bond of all tubes into the bb shell.

I am the Bikemeister :lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: DYNA-TECH 2070
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:28 pm 
Ain't no party like an S Club party
Ain't no party like an S Club party
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:54 pm
Posts: 7131
Location: UK
bikemeister2000 wrote:
Just to put the record staight here.

1. These were not poorly built !! All Dyna-tech frames were hand built by Raleigh Special Products Division.

2. The damage seen in the picture is a result of the chain dropping and jamming between the chainset and the chainstay, a fault of poor gear adjustment, not poor materials or manufacturing.

3. These frames were not brazed or welded, but bonded with special high temperature adhesive used in the areospace industry. Any attempt at using heat on the chainstay joint will result in destroying the bond of all tubes into the bb shell.

I am the Bikemeister :lol:



Just to bend the record slightly:

1: A common failure on these frames was the tubes separating from the lugs. A result of the bonding technique used not quite being the best.

I am not the Bikemeister, but I do remember this happening to the frames of a few friends BITD. That to me would suggest something being badly built or a technique being badly researched - or the wrong materials being used.

2: If that happened whenever a case of chain suck occurred I would have no frames left.

3: See 1 above. Don't think heat is the enemy here. Whether the adhesive used was developed for the aerospace industry seems slightly irrelevant TBH - just sales blurb.

I'm sure if the frame was taken a mile above the ground and flown at 700mph in an outside temperature of -50º it'd be fine - but that's not what it was built to do...

Anyway, sorry to see that Russell - good look searching a replacement!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 7:30 pm 
Ain't no party like an S Club party
Ain't no party like an S Club party
User avatar

Joined: Thu May 25, 2006 4:54 pm
Posts: 7131
Location: UK
^^^

Just following that up I do understand that the tube has not separated from the lug but has simply developed a hairline!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:50 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:40 pm
Posts: 2161
Location: Nottingham
What bikemeister says. Possibly attributable to "poor" quality of material, nowt to do with that of the frame BUILDING.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:30 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:23 pm
Posts: 747
Location: NEW FOREST HANTS
reynolds tubing.... so steel??? weld it up and grind it flat? that would be stupidly easy!!! ive done that on bmx frames before and weld is stronger than the steel surrounding it so it shouldnt break again if treated right. as in sealed so it cant deteriorate again..... just a thought but as you were talkin possible 200 squid to repair the frame . you could get yaself a mig welder for less and fix it yaself 8)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Dyna-Tech Death
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:46 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:50 pm
Posts: 612
Location: Lazy Town
I will conceed a small number of frames built developed problems from insufficient adhesive in the joint. However, corrective proceedures were put into place once the problem was identified.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Dyna-Tech
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:51 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 11, 2009 10:50 pm
Posts: 612
Location: Lazy Town
retrowagen1234 wrote:
reynolds tubing.... so steel??? weld it up and grind it flat? that would be stupidly easy!!! ive done that on bmx frames before and weld is stronger than the steel surrounding it so it shouldnt break again if treated right. as in sealed so it cant deteriorate again..... just a thought but as you were talkin possible 200 squid to repair the frame . you could get yaself a mig welder for less and fix it yaself 8)


The frame is bonded NOT brazed, NOT welded. Heat applied in the area of the BB WILL damage the all joints in the BB shell.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Dyna-Tech Death
PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:54 pm 
Old School Grand Master
User avatar

Joined: Sat May 20, 2006 2:56 pm
Posts: 4776
Location: No brakes? Way to commit soldier.
bikemeister2000 wrote:
I will conceed a small number of frames built developed problems from insufficient adhesive in the joint. However, corrective proceedures were put into place once the problem was identified.


You used to work for Raleigh didn't you.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 22 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 27 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group