Dynatech Death!

Russell

Old School Grand Master
Sad day for me. Really excited to finally get my hands on a Dynatech 2070. I was going to restore it as a replica of my first race bike from BITD. I've been stripping it down over the past couple of weeks and finally got to the stage where I was removing all the surface rust to prepare for blasting and painting. All going well, oxidation on the aluminium lugs came off a treat, all the rust on the frame came off really nicely to leave shiny bare metal.. Great!

But... small patch of rust and a dent hidden down on the driveside chainstay up close to the bottom bracket lug, rust cleans off great to reveal a hairline crack running from top to bottom. Game over :cry:

Gutted.

9763795a9517827723l.jpg

shame :(

you could do it anyway but use the parts that you would normaly deem too nice to ride and hang it on the wall

That must be really frustrating and you have to wonder why these things always seem to emerge at the end rather than the start of a cleaning or preparation episode.

It doesn't help now but will it be difficult to find another?

Repair? Is it the chainstay? Whats is made of?

They seem to be quite rare Ed, not because they were particularly limited in numbers, but because they were so poorly constructed that very few have survived :D

Its really not worth reparing, the chainstay is 531 but I've a feeling the lugged construction (and the cracks proximity to the lug) may cause a problem. They're cheap bikes and another one will come around one day.

Now I have a load of great condition Deore DX kit with no frame to hang it off. Time to go shopping!

Cheers for that, if it was a really special bike I would get it fixed but with the repair and paintjob you're starting to look at £200 for a frame thats really not worth a quarter of that. It had sentimental value to me, nothing more than that really.

Back