Kona Lava Dome 1991

konahed

Kona Fan
Here's my 1991 Lava Dome (19 inch) which I have owned since new. It was in the garage for about 14 years unused, and I dusted it off a few months ago and updated a few parts so it isn't totally retro, but I wanted to get it looking as nice as possible.

I have a few people to thank for some of the parts:

Huntso I bought the X-Lite seatpost from, and it looks pretty cool I think. I also bought a 15 degree rise Syncros stem from him but in the end decided to go with a zero rise and riser bars, I had fitted the 15 degree but it messed with the looks a bit too much for my liking.

Kona Paul gave me a front P2 mounted cable stop which I am very grateful for. Allowed me to use the Syncros stem.

stellaboy send me an Onza Rail front tyre for free - looks great on the bike.

mamadirt helped me out with a shim for the titanium riser handlebars which I am very pleased with.

jim m gave me an XT sharkfin for free as well.

Ther LX cantis are from old school pete. Havent fitted the rears yet.

These are all great people.

Other items non standard include:
DX STIs
San Marco Concor Titanox saddle (surprisingly comfortable)
Front wheel is a Mavic 221 with Kona Javva the Hub I got on ebay

Still has the original 500LX chainset at the moment. Still have some work to do to it but I was so pleased with the way it rode when I got the riser bars fitted I just had to take some pictures:

Titanium handlebars and DX STI things

500LX with XT sharkfin.

kaiser":1xnycx8m said:
What are the risers? they look nice.

Got them on ebay quite cheap, they are titanium and are 26 inches wide. The seller's ID is lwr821akaak47 he doesn't seem to have any more listed at the moment, but you could email him and ask.

Back