My latest ride! Well, need to see what all the fuss is about

goodas12003

Retro Guru
Feedback
View
Hi everyone, seeing as load's of you own some sort of kona, and i gota admit, they do look lovely, i thought i would dip my toe into kona ownership and see why you all like these bike's. I was tempted last week by an ad for this Kona hahanna so went to see it. I know it is the bottom rung of the ladder jobbie but i just thought it was such a nice looker that it came home with me. (I knew this site was going to be a wallet killer)! anyway, it ride's absolutley spot on, is nice and whippy and i shall be using it as a road bike it's that good! Ive converted it to brand new avid v-brakes and they work spot on. It came with cane creek rubberized bar end's that are comfortable in use but i dont know whether i like the look of em! It came with panaracer road tyre's on but when i got it home they were perished to buggery so it is wearing maxxis for now. It is pretty much perfect except the project two decal on one of the leg's. Fortunatly, a fellow member (Cass) has come to my rescue and is sending me some replacements. thank's for your help mate! Anyone got any good tip's for removing the old decal's off the fork's without buggering up the paint. Ive tryed a hairdryer to soften them and also white spirit but neither was any use at all as they seem to be very thin decal's and brittle. Well my shed is getting very retro now as it shares space with an Alpinestar's al-mega. Still cant help looking at other's as well thou! Cheer;s Dave :D

Attachments

• kona os 2.jpg
    kona os 2.jpg
    178.9 KB · Views: 1,264
  • kona ns.jpg
    kona ns.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 1,264
Nice shade of bronze, gotta say I really like the look of that. I admit I didn't really 'get' Kona bitd - I think I was too tied up with burly oversized alu rides, but I'm slowly finding myself drawn to these relatively slim, elegant machines - nice example here :)

It is the skinny tubing and the sloping geometry that a really like about it and the straight p2 fork's just give them such a cool look! Went to town stripping and cleaning it thou as can be seen by the chain and rear cassette/derailier. I do use my bike's regularly but i like to keep em minty fresh!! Only thing bugging me is the bottom bracket end car is sticking out a couple of thread's and im just wondering if the previous owner has put a 73mm b/b in a 68 shell. I aint measured nothin but it defo wont go in any more. Thank's for your comment's, any idea's on the decal removal as dont really want to strip any paint. Thank's Dave. :D

I like that especially the colour, good find in such good nick

Nail varnish remover should get rid of the decals ok.
Used some undiluted citrus degreaser and one of the scourers for non stick pans last week and that worked after a while too

You could be on a rocky road now though, what's next in your sights?

Nice one huntso, i'll try that see how it goes! I think i fancy a bit of a change and may be interested in building a singlespeed (had fixed and couldnt get on with it) from a 70's/80's road bike but they all seem to be bloody huge! Seem's any one who bought a racer in the 80's bought a 23" and upward's frame and although im not exactly a short arse at 5ft 7" they are just to big! Fancy summat nice and light that i can throw some campy at, unless of course a tasty mtb come's along. God, im at it again!! Cheer's Dave. :D

goodas12003":24wcd1pt said:
It is the skinny tubing and the sloping geometry that a really like about it and the straight p2 fork's just give them such a cool look! Went to town stripping and cleaning it thou as can be seen by the chain and rear cassette/derailier. I do use my bike's regularly but i like to keep em minty fresh!! Only thing bugging me is the bottom bracket end car is sticking out a couple of thread's and im just wondering if the previous owner has put a 73mm b/b in a 68 shell. I aint measured nothin but it defo wont go in any more. Thank's for your comment's, any idea's on the decal removal as dont really want to strip any paint. Thank's Dave. :D

Definately, very good looking bikes, great colour that

I have two Konas at the moment but would have another...93/94 Explosif would be nice :D

Back