Original GT Karakoram K2

Aeronaut

98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi all.
Having spent hours drawling over the sweet retro rides..especially the GTs I thought i'd share some pics of mine (minus dust and cobwebs). This is actually my second GT, the first being a purple haze Karakoram which was stolen but fortunately insurance paid out so wasted no time upgrading to the K2.

89/90? Karakoram K2 owned from new, all original including tyres and still as tight as it was back in the day. The only thing that has been changed are the grips being on it's third set now but everything else is as it was and still looking fresh. A good testament to the build quality of these bikes. Even dug out the owners manual and brake/gear service instructions still in their pack.
How much longer I will keep hold of it I don't know but hopefully will get some use out of it soon and run up some miles again. The early hardtail Ti's are pretty damn tempting though! :cool::cool:

Cheers, Wayne

gt2.jpg

gt3.jpg

gt1.jpg

gt4.jpg

gt5.jpg

gt6.jpg

gt7.jpg

gt8.jpg

gt-stuff077.jpg

Welcome to the site Aeronaut. What a fantastic 2nd post :shock:

We love seeing clean original build like this, the bikes we all rode BITD before discovering purple anodizing :LOL:

Does it get ridden?

Thanks Kev for the welcome! erm :roll:...no it hasn't ben ridden for a while, not since spring anyway. A bit of air in the tyres and she'll be ready to go! Hopefully soon it'll start seeing some action again. This sites given me the bug thats for sure :)

thanks for sharing that. it is imaculate. great to see an unmolested bike

That's a bit minty. :cool:

I thought mine was 89-90 but it's not that colour (wish it was that's tasty).
Do you know if they did an alternative paint finish those years, mine looks like it's just the blue without the black.

Very nice.

cherrybomb":3h7iuiw1 said:
That's a bit minty. :cool:

I thought mine was 89-90 but it's not that colour (wish it was that's tasty).
Do you know if they did an alternative paint finish those years, mine looks like it's just the blue without the black.

Very nice.

Thanks! :) If my memory serves me right the other colour this one came in was all over blue in a lighter shade with red decals. My mate bought a blue one shortly after seeing mine. Yours certainly sounds like the one ;) I think the two tone splatter was a £20 extra on top. I remember having a hard time choosing which one to go for. Can't remember any other colours apart from them two.

love it

The shop i worked in from 89-93 had these :D

One of my favorite paint jobs from G.T.s wonderful stable.

Now when will someone turn up with a 89 steel xiang with BROWNING automatic front transmission? :LOL:

Back