Evolution of a Grove Assault...

sho220

Devout Dirtbag
Several months ago I took a little trip to check out a bike I found on my local Craigslist. When we arrived, this is what was wheeled out...

IMG_2210.jpg

Oh yeah...it was being ridden like that... :shock:

This is a pic of it after I threw a bunch of parts at it in an effort to just get it rideable...

grove2.jpg

The POS fork made that a pointless effort. I eventually stripped all those temporary parts off and proceeded to slowly piece it together. I pulled off the SR fork and went with a Tange rigid fork that I painted to match the red on the frame. I had originally planned to keep most of the Suntour XC Pro parts but they just didn't want to cooperate, so most of them came off. In their place I went with some old Gripshift shifters I originally had on my '94 Kona Cinder Cone. Shimano XT derailleurs replaced the XC Pro front and Expert rear. The wheelset was swapped for a Bullseye/Mavic setup with IRC Mythos XC tires. The seatpost, bar-ends, cranks and brake levers were also pulled from my old Kona. The Ritchey stem is from my wife's Bridgestone MB3. :p Don't remember where the bars came from but they work well with everything else.

I haven't had a chance to take it out for anything more than a ride around the block but I can tell it's gonna be a fun ride!

grv2.jpg

grv1.jpg

grv8.jpg

grv7.jpg

grv6.jpg

grv10.jpg

grv11.jpg

grv9.jpg

Wow, that looked fantastic now, a big difference how you change the bike and think you did an excellent job, the bike went from an ugly duck to a lovely swan, nice one :)

What a can of WD-40 can do :)

Congratulations, what a metamorphose! Are you planning to serious riding it or will it be more be used like a garage queen?

Elev12k":297vxf0z said:
What a can of WD-40 can do :)

Congratulations, what a metamorphose! Are you planning to serious riding it or will it be more be used like a garage queen?
My main ride is a modern f/s...but I like to take my older bikes out once in a while as well. This one will see some trail time. :D

what a transformation. thats a really interesting build. looked at the "new" pictures ant thought, hmm nice and shiney. then LOOKED at the pics. lovely

Back