Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Wed Dec 07, 2016 3:59 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post subject: Duals
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:09 am 
Old School Grand Master

What do you think to the Dual Controls? I have a few sets both cable and Hydro and love em, not that popular though n don't know why?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:40 am 
Posh Mark
Posh Mark

Sweet 8)

I would be tempted to change the rear wheel - Looks like a Planet X LMF rim on a Goliath hub (I could be wrong though :lol: ) - I run one on my Lava Dome and wilst you'll never buckle it or get a puncture (pinch flat) they are Heaaaavy :lol:

Love the modern/retro mix.

M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:59 am 
Old School Grand Master

When I started reading, I had a feeling I was going to hate it when I saw the pics but I love it. It's like a new bike, only better. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:56 pm 
Lincs AEC
Lincs AEC

Nice mix of new and old there :wink:

Personally, I'd fit a flat bar.......but if riser bars are your thing then take off the bar ends......oh and lose the front reflector! :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:23 pm 
Old School Hero

reynolds 631, i love it

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 7:08 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Thanks for the responses. Yeah I'm really happy with the bike and I really appreciate the fact that people can see past the not so retro bike build. Old isn't always the best if it was I'd still be using a Spectrum 48k to surf the web :)

Just to answer a few of your questions.

The rear wheel is a Shimano Deore LX Hub with 26in 36 hole Sun Rhyno Lite XL rim (Used but VVG Condition). Not the best I know but I had it laying around and thought I'd use it. Got some Tioga rubber on it and it does perform well.

The dual control shifters do take a bit of getting used too but are a quality bit of kit and the engineering is excellent. I would recommend these to everyone plus with the LX brand you get a really good bang for your buck.

Can't get on with flat bars, I think my body is just a wierd shape. The reason for the bar ends is I live in the Brecon Beacons - HILLS - great for coming down but some of them are ridiculous when going up :twisted:

I ain't got Noooooooooo front reflector - sacrilege !!!!!!

This IS a brand new bike and feels like such. I've had a look at modern hardtail GT's sold by Halfrauds and they are simply not GT's. They just gimmicky with loads of 'Designed in California' stickers. This is a proper triple triangle framed beauty, that has been transported 10 years into the future and given a fresh new look. The finish on the paintwork is amazing, the photo's really don't do it justice with it being a deep pearlescent with a mettalic fleck. 99.9% of modern bikes have oversized tubing giving them that chunky off road look. This bike is far more elegant and looks positively refined stood alongside my Avalanche 1

The rug and sofa question. Yes, the wife was at work, some hoovering and some Vanish carpet spray and she's none the wiser (I hope :) )

Lastly the view. Just hadn't thought about that its what I'm used to. The view is of Vaynor and Ponsticill in the Taf Fechan Valley. I live inside the Brecon Beacons National Park probably a dream for MTBrs and I apologise to anybody stuck in a city center - sorry. But I couldn't resist putting this pic up of Ponsticill Reservoir virtually a 2 minute walk from my house - we just don't realise how beautiful our countryside is 8) 1st photo is me with my old Zaskar (battered but beautiful!)

Attachments:
mtbr.jpg
mtbr.jpg [ 18.8 KiB | Viewed 652 times ]
Image001.jpg
Image001.jpg [ 26.23 KiB | Viewed 652 times ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:37 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

Anybody else got any pics of the Bravado or Bravado LE ? ? ? ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:35 pm 
Gold Trader
Gold Trader

I might be selling this bike. :shock:

Now I've built it I'm bored. Anybody else addicted to rebuilds ????? The Bravado is my 3rd GT re-build in the same number of years but I'm really after a Xizang 8) (as a GT nut this is my dream bike and number 1 on my wish list) and mint frames are few and far between

If someone were to offer me a sensible price I might consider it BUT only reasonable offers and please remember this is a brand new bike with the parts costing a few hundred quid.

Then again I might keep it...........??????

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 3:01 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Seriously tidy house!

Nice bike, I think rigid forks and Flatties would finish it off 8)

nice frame too by the look of it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 13, 2008 5:47 pm 
MacRetro rider
MacRetro rider

Gadro wrote:
I might be selling this bike. :shock:

Now I've built it I'm bored. Anybody else addicted to rebuilds ????? The Bravado is my 3rd GT re-build in the same number of years but I'm really after a Xizang 8) (as a GT nut this is my dream bike and number 1 on my wish list) and mint frames are few and far between

If someone were to offer me a sensible price I might consider it BUT only reasonable offers and please remember this is a brand new bike with the parts costing a few hundred quid.

Then again I might keep it...........??????

Yep, i know what you mean, i stripped down my Orange E3 last sunday for no other reason than it was raining outside :D

The LTS is my keeper the others kind of come and go :roll:

Have you ridden the bike yet ?, maybe hang on to it for a while and see how it goes, you may not get your money back for the bits selling it complete though.

If you are selling it though all i can say is thank Christ it's not a 16", dont think i could have held myself back :lol: