Rainy afternoon Rascal

SeeingisBelievingGTMuseum

Old School Grand Master
Feedback
View
This one landed mid week and what better to do on a rainy day than build bikes. It's a 1990 Klein Rascal and it was mostly original spec on arrival. Had to add pedals, swap posts, redecal the fork air it up and lube it. The rims were mismatched when it arrived. Original spec is Sun C-16 and I need one is someone out there has one. I'd like to keep this bike as close to original as possible. The original spec shows the brakes as XT black canti's but the seller stated it came with the SE Pedersen canti's that are on it now. Oviuos that this one has neve seen many miles as the pint is excellent and only has a couple light chain stay scratches. Nice riding bike at a 24.5 lbs! For a guy that usually sticks to one bike line....GT's, this was a fun excursion.

Attachments

• DSC00031.JPG
    DSC00031.JPG
    75 KB · Views: 2,368
  • DSC00032.JPG
    DSC00032.JPG
    75.6 KB · Views: 2,368
  • DSC00033.JPG
    DSC00033.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 2,368
That is a sweet looking bike-

SE brakes on the front- how is that going?

CTK":2sw8iq0u said:
SE brakes on the front- how is that going?

Why do you ask....The original Scott Pedersen SE brakes were available either for front or rear use (opposite direction threadings). Many Tandem makers used them for years. When Sun Tour licensed the design, their legal department vetoed the front version, so only the rear model was made by Sun Tour. Like with any brake you get use to what you use. You are the one that controls the modulation. No different than driving a car an controlling the accelerator. You get what you want out of it.

that is nice :cool: reckon that colour scheme is my favourite Klein paint job :cool:

Re SE brakes-

I was just curious really- actually I am curious as to how well they work on the front & back. I have a set that I havent got round to using and want to know if they are worth keeping?

They look great on your Rascal BTW which is making me think maybe I should keep them and stick them on my Dads Rascal - he wants to convert it to drop bars...

They do work very well. Obviuosly very important to get the front mounted where it belongs. I sold a set of them on the bay a year ago and the buyer had them mounted front to back and back to front and wanted to return them. I think the important thing is getting use to they as they will lock up better than a standard canti as long as you have decent pads on them. Like I said earlier there are tandem riders out there with 10's of thousands of miles on them that swear by them. I think Suntours big worry about doing a front was in relation to all the different brake lever combinations that someone might try to use with them....thus varying their effectiveness or lack there of.

Back