LTS DS with new shocks

jimwah

Old School Hero
Got my bike back from a short stay in the LBS this week, nice guys in there & they seemed to appreciate the old LTS :p Minor jobs I can do, but steerer cuts & headset refitting is beyond my current tools (and perhaps skills) & it was free fitting so no qualms about that :D Anyway, I wanted to update the front end of the bike a bit, the Judy XL's were a bit on the springy side for me & I wanted to get away from the triple clamp style.

This turned into an upgrade to the disc brake, & rotor, which fouled the old 3 point hub fitting, so a new 6 point hub too.. and then a new set of DX pedals for no good reason at all (other than being a joy to behold in my opinion, i love flat pedals :D )

I've kept all the original parts ofc, but for now this is becoming my primary rider, so you'll forgive me for a little mordernisation i hope. I actually really like the look of the new shocks & they give a more precise feel to the ride.

Originally:

gt_lts_1000.jpg

Now:

LTS001.jpg

LTS002.jpg

LTS004.jpg

LTS009.jpg

Finally figured out my picture buttons there - couldn't guess I work in IT could you? :oops: :D

Nice :cool: , think i'd have kept the black tyres on it though :?

I like the DX pedals :cool: , getting rid of the tripples was a good move, those are a great way to burst headtubes.

Nice to see it's no garage queen :D

Did you do something to the rear shock?
The link looks to point a little downwards now.
I have placed a new rearshock in my LTS, but that one is just a bit too long (also Super DeLuxe) wich results in a way higher bracket.

Then bike looks nice with the modern parts. And I would also bring back the black tires.

Thanks for the comments :D I've got a bit of a thing for tyres, but all I have spare at the mo are some Conti 1.9 XCs with the brown walls, I must admit the Wildgrippers were clearing the mud nicely in the woods, but really struggling on the more grassy, open sections of my little circuit. I feel like I want to get a burly set of 2.3s on this ride but I have to curb spending for a short while at least now :D The massive ones on my DMR might do the trick but they must weigh a ton. Thanks for the link xizang, I haven't ridden discs extensively, but I really like the feel of the new one up front. That might have to go on an Xmas list of some description..

I've been playing with the shock settings and adjusting the height recently, its wound out quite far at the mo (with a lot of thread exposed at the top of the shock) and only lightly damped. I'm gonna wind in some more preload on the red collar tho as its still quite springy when climbing - I've got a lockout dial on the front but they are quite stiff anyway & I need to tune the rear in to match.

Yeah, as far as i know the height of the bike is adjusted by turning the shock body through the trunion mount and the spring rate/preload is set by turning the red collar as you say.

The amount of travel can be adjusted by the travel chips (black plastic bushes either side of the trunion mount), travel is determined by which way the holes are facing (toward the front or rear of the bike)

I have a Hope C2 disc on the rear of my LTS, i'll stick up a pic later when i have more time ;)

Back