It's finished ...
I actually finished it last weekend but after a few spins around the estate I had a few tweaks / adjustments to do which were finished yesterday
no final pics yet, I don't want to photograph it in the kitchen / bedroom / lounge etc
and it hasn't stopped raining yet
Rode very well
faster rolling than I remember (but I never had slicks on it) and better stopping than I remember to - after reading all the 'canti's are sh1t' statements I hear on here I thought I was perhaps remembering them with rose tinted specs and my extra three stone since last time around wasn't going to help
they are actually quite good though ...
My arse isn't happy about the flite either - needs wearing in I think
Things that needed tweaking :
I swapped a canti bolt fixing nut over - my spanner had a burr on it that marked the hex so I polished up a spare and fitted that
Mech hanger : it was bent ! I can only think it was done when the bike was stored and I never noticed when I stripped it at the start of the rebuild
Soon fixed with this though :
The mech didn't want to sit / tension right which took a while to suss - they have adjustment in the spring tension on the main and cage pivots, they need to be matched and the cage pivot was a hole out. I can't use the noodle though as the combination of short cage and my ratios gives to much mech movement and the short length of cable outer didn't have enough 'give'
but I have found a nice route that avoids cable rub
I swapped the angle of dangle screw over for a stainless grub screw that I have rounded the end on - I don't like how the standard one cuts / damages the finish on the dropout, so the standard one was never given the chance
I swapped the plain black seat QR ringle over for the black / polished one and used a washer that broardy made for me, after a bit of a polish (couldn't resist
But as it added a extra 2mm I needed a 2mm longer (Which had to have the ends polished to match the wheel skewers
Final job was to clean the braking surfaces. I expected the first few goes at braking to help but it didn't
the rims were slightly marked where the bare alloy was - can be clearly seen on here (white patches) :
But the rim cleaning block I bought for the ceramics for the airborne worked wonders :
They look like new now