Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:03 am

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 46  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 1:07 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

Pretty much slap bang in the middle of the figures so far :shock: Quite surprising as it isn’t (other than inner tubes) a weenie build :D

I will hold back the exact weight until it has been on the trustworthy scales though – as soon as it’s dry, daylight and I have a picture to prove what’s on it, no missing pedals, chains, all the odds n sods that don’t get included etc … :lol:

WD :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 3:49 pm 
eBay Outing Master

Dad, dadddddddd are we there yet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:30 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

I'm going to kill a small puppy for every hour there isn't a finished photo on this thread........you wouldn't want that on your concience now would you?.......be reasonable!.....it will be your fault!......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:32 pm 
Gold Trader / Special
Gold Trader / Special

as long as it's not kittens :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:39 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

I need daylight, dry weather and time at home - since the last build update the three haven’t coincided :( :lol:

I only have the gear cables to fettle / adjust now :D (and the scales to get out of the loft :lol: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 4:47 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

.....do you hear that?......that's 'spot' in the dishwasher.....you've been warned!......

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 10:28 am 
Old School Grand Master

I'd guess at 23-24lb. My 1990 Palisades tourer weighs 25ish and has a Use seatpost, White Ind Cranks and Real BB but also mudguards, rack, drops and Maguras.
:?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:11 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

It's finished ... :shock: :lol:

I actually finished it last weekend but after a few spins around the estate I had a few tweaks / adjustments to do which were finished yesterday :D no final pics yet, I don't want to photograph it in the kitchen / bedroom / lounge etc :lol: and it hasn't stopped raining yet :-(

Rode very well 8) faster rolling than I remember (but I never had slicks on it) and better stopping than I remember to - after reading all the 'canti's are sh1t' statements I hear on here I thought I was perhaps remembering them with rose tinted specs and my extra three stone since last time around wasn't going to help :lol: they are actually quite good though ... ;-)

My arse isn't happy about the flite either - needs wearing in I think :lol:

Things that needed tweaking :

I swapped a canti bolt fixing nut over - my spanner had a burr on it that marked the hex so I polished up a spare and fitted that :D

Mech hanger : it was bent ! I can only think it was done when the bike was stored and I never noticed when I stripped it at the start of the rebuild :? Soon fixed with this though :

The mech didn't want to sit / tension right which took a while to suss - they have adjustment in the spring tension on the main and cage pivots, they need to be matched and the cage pivot was a hole out. I can't use the noodle though as the combination of short cage and my ratios gives to much mech movement and the short length of cable outer didn't have enough 'give' :-( but I have found a nice route that avoids cable rub :D

I swapped the angle of dangle screw over for a stainless grub screw that I have rounded the end on - I don't like how the standard one cuts / damages the finish on the dropout, so the standard one was never given the chance ;-)

I swapped the plain black seat QR ringle over for the black / polished one and used a washer that broardy made for me, after a bit of a polish (couldn't resist :lol:) :

But as it added a extra 2mm I needed a 2mm longer (Which had to have the ends polished to match the wheel skewers :oops: :lol:) :

Final job was to clean the braking surfaces. I expected the first few goes at braking to help but it didn't :-( the rims were slightly marked where the bare alloy was - can be clearly seen on here (white patches) :

But the rim cleaning block I bought for the ceramics for the airborne worked wonders :

They look like new now 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:18 pm 
Retro Guru
Retro Guru

Seven Marins, three of them Bear Valleys on the first page of readers bikes :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 11:29 pm 
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC
Moderator /Lincs, E & S Yorks Deputy AEC

WD Pro wrote:
Seven Marins, three of them Bear Valleys on the first page of readers bikes :shock:
I make it 8 Marin's ;) (well it is now anyway...)

So what's left to do on this build then WD Pro?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 458 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37, 38 ... 46  Next