1997 Klein Pulse Pro Custom

mk1Matt

Retro Guru
Thought I'd do a build thread on my latest build, whilst it's still in progress.

It started out as a standard Klein Pulse Pro, bought from this forum. The paint was peeling/bubbling in places, so I thought I'd go "custom" and repaint it.

It's going to be a mixture of new and retro. Hopefully the best of both!

Here's how it started out

P170908_0648.jpg

After some nitromors it looked like this

P251008_1427.jpg

And now it looks like this

P281008_1241.jpg

The colour is VW Jazz Blue Pearl. It needs a really good polish because the paint went on quite dry, but should pretty sweet when finished. I've got some decals from gil_m in white to finish it off.

The next thing was to decide on some forks. Found some 'dale Martin Ashtons on here and thought they'd be ideal. I'm going to be using a cable disc up front so wanted something with an IS mount.

Here's how the forks started out

P261008_1332.jpg

And after some "surgery" to remove the canti/V bosses (I think they look ugly with nothing bolted to them!) they then looked like this:

P261008_134401.jpg

They're currently in primer but I've got no pics. They'll be getting the Jazz Blue treatment as well.

So this brings me up to date. I've now got all the components for it, some of which are still bolted to my LTS. Here's the spec:

Single RH Deore thumbie
1995/1996 XT rear mech
HG70 7 spd cassette
White Industries cranks
GT flat pedals
USE seat post
Flite Titanium black leather saddle
FSA Orbit headset
Leisure lakes XLR8 stem
Bontrager straight bars
Yellow Yeti grips
Avid SD1.0 brake levers
Avid BB5 front disc brake
STX RC rear V brake
Specialized/DT swiss front wheel
LX/Mavic X519 (?) rear wheel
Schwalbe City Jet semi-slicks

I'll keep adding updates as and when they happen.

Looks like a similar colour to my Pulse Comp Singlespeed! was actually considering some p-bones as the current steel ones are pretty heavy!

P1020742.jpg

P1020745.jpg

I remember seeing yours in a for sale ad earlier this year. I have to be honest, I loved it, and it was the inspiration for this build. Mine should look pretty similar when it's done, though with enough changes to get around copyright ;)

I had a pulse comp S years ago which i always regretted selling on, So last monthish i picked up a Pulse Race frame off the bay for £80, Lovely fast bikes to ride :cool:

I remember seeing yours in a for sale ad earlier this year. I have to be honest, I loved it, and it was the inspiration for this build. Mine should look pretty similar when it's done, though with enough changes to get around copyright

:LOL: :LOL: i'll be sending my examiners round to check for infringements ;)

Back