Retrobike Forum Index

It is currently Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:00 pm

* Login   * Register * Search  * FAQ



Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:04 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:33 pm
Posts: 52
Location: london
Just come back from the first run on the Orange Prestige. The frame is this year's Orange re-issue and not the original (although I have one of those under the bed as well!). I wanted something that would take my Pace RC38's so it had to be 1 1/8th headtube and the correct geometry for a 100mm travel fork, so I grabbed one of the limited issue frames off ebay.

Chris King NoThreadset, Mavic 317 wheels with Halo Twin Rail tyres, SRAM .9 drivechain and Juicy 7 brakes. All built up by the LBS and tuned to perfection - runs silent.


Image


Image

BTW, in case this isn't retro enough, I still use my '93 Clockwork every day for commuting, and have had the original decals re-drawn and made for when I get it re-sprayed.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:49 pm 
Gold Trader / Special
Gold Trader / Special
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 pm
Posts: 3169
Location: Leicestershire
i dont know if these new prestiges are the same as the old ones but i recently found out my old 91 prestige is f***ed due to it rusting from the inside out.

took it to been seen by dave yates the other day and he gave me some great advice.

any of the holes in the tubing plug them up with a bit of silicon sealer.
they are supposed to be drainage holes but do the exact opposite all they do is allow water in.

so if your frame has any holes near the end of the stays plug them up and if you can get some frame saver in them tubes.


very nice looking bike that.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:58 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:33 pm
Posts: 52
Location: london
Thanks for the tip. I was considering a few squirts of frame saver or the like. I vaguely remember someone saying that WD40 is just as effective as a protector - I wonder....


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 1:58 pm 
Retro Guru

Joined: Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:10 pm
Posts: 2757
Location: High Peak
The forks seem a bit long as the head angle seems pretty slack. I guess you know that judging by the upside down stem. Orange/Pace combo is mandatory though!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 2:05 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:33 pm
Posts: 52
Location: london
Dave_H wrote:
The forks seem a bit long as the head angle seems pretty slack. I guess you know that judging by the upside down stem. Orange/Pace combo is mandatory though!


Well, they are marketed as having the geometry for 100mm (which the RC38's are), in fact even up to 130. Only having ridden 90's rigid MTB's in the past it felt very weird at first. The LBS fitted the stem the "right" way up and I had to swap it over. There's still 2cm of spacers that can be removed when/if I get the steerer cut down.

I spoke to Orange before buying to ask their judgement on whether the Prestige or current P7 would have better geometry for longer road rides and they said the Prestige. I'm presuming that accounts for the slacker headtube angle - it's the height that's the only issue.

I'm really asking it do do quite a lot, as I'll be using it for 50+ mile road rides as well as forest and farm track stuff, plus the ability to put a rack on the rear!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:09 pm 
Retro Guru
User avatar

Joined: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:35 pm
Posts: 2048
Location: Vienna, Austria
toontra wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I was considering a few squirts of frame saver or the like. I vaguely remember someone saying that WD40 is just as effective as a protector - I wonder....

no, wd40 is not the proper way to prevent your frame from rusting. wd40 is too volatile to do the job on the long run. at least use some cavity sealing from your local car shop.
wd40 is good to remove rust once it forms.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:15 pm 
MacModerator
MacModerator
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 14, 2006 8:59 pm
Posts: 20772
Location: Sol Kitts
Inigo Montoya wrote:
toontra wrote:
Thanks for the tip. I was considering a few squirts of frame saver or the like. I vaguely remember someone saying that WD40 is just as effective as a protector - I wonder....

no, wd40 is not the proper way to prevent your frame from rusting. wd40 is too volatile to do the job on the long run. at least use some cavity sealing from your local car shop.
wd40 is good to remove rust once it forms.



Top tip, I've used the underseal stuff which you can get in a spray can.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:36 pm 
retrobike rider
retrobike rider

Joined: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:22 pm
Posts: 7306
Location: Hove
toontra wrote:
Well, they are marketed as having the geometry for 100mm (which the RC38's are), in fact even up to 130. Only having ridden 90's rigid MTB's in the past it felt very weird at first. The LBS fitted the stem the "right" way up and I had to swap it over. There's still 2cm of spacers that can be removed when/if I get the steerer cut down.

I spoke to Orange before buying to ask their judgement on whether the Prestige or current P7 would have better geometry for longer road rides and they said the Prestige. I'm presuming that accounts for the slacker headtube angle - it's the height that's the only issue.

I'm really asking it do do quite a lot, as I'll be using it for 50+ mile road rides as well as forest and farm track stuff, plus the ability to put a rack on the rear!

It doesn't look slack to me, it looks perfect, if anything steep. As you say, it was designed for 100mm (at least) forks.

I wouldn't cut down the steerer until you're really into the bike. The key thing is that this is a modern bike, not retro in style, and bikes are much higher at the front now and that's why it felt a bit wierd at first. But they're designed to do the things that you can do with those massively capable forks. I wouldn't be surprised if you end up putting the stem back the way it's intended to be, once the bike has persuaded you to change your riding style to the way it wants you to ride!


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:45 pm 
Dirt Disciple

Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 2:33 pm
Posts: 52
Location: london
Thanks for the re-assurance Anthony. It certainly felt pretty good. As you say, I won't do any cutting for a while, if at all - I'll fiddle around with stems first (I've got various lengths and angles to choose from!).

BTW on a regular 10-mile loop the Prestige was only 1.2 mph slower average speed than my ultra light ti road bike. Pretty amazing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2008 6:17 pm 
Gold Trader / Special
Gold Trader / Special
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 27, 2008 3:48 pm
Posts: 3169
Location: Leicestershire
if i could afford 1 of these new prestiges i would buy 1 in a heartbeat.
ive never riden another steel frame thats quite like my old prestige.
they are superb bikes.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: albatros38, Bing [Bot], Cheshire1980, Coleman, Elev12k, grarea, groovyblueshed, Retro_Roy, Stick Legs, sztopi17 and 39 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  

About Us

Follow Retrobike

Other cool stuff

All content © 2005-2015 Retrobike unless otherwise stated.
Cookies Policy.
bikedeals - the best bike deals in one place
FatCOGS - Fat Chance Owner's Group

Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group