1990 Kona Fire Mountain

unocogero

Retrobike Rider
Feedback
View
Hi,

This is my 1990 (I think) Kona Fire Mountain. It was bought new by a friend and has lived in her garage for the last 15 years.

When I saw it, it was in a pile of junk heading to the tip and it looked really rough and felt super heavy but I thought I'd have a go at breathing life into it.

I decided to singlespeed it and upgrade the brakes because the drive train was wrecked and the brakes corroded. I struggled to get a 32t chainring to fit the Biopace crankset so I junked that and was going to do the same with the rear brake until I realised that U-Brake bosses are in a different place to Canti bosses (but have the same pull length). Instead, after a lot of searching for schematics/instructions I have refurbed them (anyone want any advice just ask) and they are great.

I have upgraded to a V brake on the front and was worried by the mismatched brake levers but found a solution by using Dia-comp adjustable DP-7's which you can set to either Canti or V.

New wheels (LX and 317), x-lite riser and Deaore cranks finish the bike off.

Now, I know it's not the greatest or lighest frame ever and I haven't kept it retro but as a rigid singlespeed it rides beautifully and I absolutely love it. Best bike I've owned and I'm now a full convert to your retro ways.

Attachments

• pic 4.jpg
    pic 4.jpg
    16.9 KB · Views: 3,535
  • pic 3.jpg
    pic 3.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 3,535
  • pic 2.jpg
    pic 2.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 3,534
  • pic.jpg
    pic.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 3,531
Yes, that is a 1990 frame. Looks like size 16 is a bit small for you, but the upside of that is that it's the prettiest size! And the paint design is also very nice, isn't it? Judging from what you say about its condition when you saw it, that's a wonderful transformation you've achieved there.

I know it looks small but it gives me the same kind of set up as my modern bikes. I don't like a long reach on the top tube and it feels really nimble through the woods. Yes, and I love the paint job too!

Back