Just thought I'd throw this up for comment. (19'' 96 Cindercone)
This was advertised in the local paper, he didn't know much about it over the phone so I didn't expect much on viewing it.
The overall condition was one of neglect and completely the wrong components. The front fork and stem weighted well over 3kg. The grips and gripshift rubber was the consistancy of liquorice and binned.
It took a bit of time and a complete stripdown and I'm the first to admit that it isn't perfect but its not too bad is it.
Luckily I had the saddle from way back and on another bike. The rear brake cabling is a bodge but it works well (once I got a tighter bend noodle)
The colour looks much better when the flash is used!
The paintwork was a bit faded on the top tube and various nicks and rubs needed touching up. It was a bit of a pain trying to get a paint to match the 'kona green' but i managed to find some modelling enamel paint in a brass colour that sortof blends in (if you don't look TOO closely).
The front wheel cartridge bearings where shot so I ended up getting new ones fitted rather than scrapping the original wheel. I stripped the rear wheel and replaced the bearings (there was a brown sludge lurking in there).
The BB was seized in and required a trip to the LBS to get the thing out. A UN 73 was the replacement.
The original seatpost was virtually seized in the seat tube but after much WD40 and leaving it to soak overnight it eventually came out. Only to find out it was bent!
I ended up getting the XT post off of one of the guys from here (Al). The brakes and fork where ebay items. The gripshift rubber is the wrong type and colour. I did order the 500/600 rubber in yellow (£2.99 from CRC) but got 800 in blue!! It wasn't worth changing and it does the job.