mk one

Archivist
Retrobike Rider
BoTM Winner
Gold Trader
Kona Fan
Feedback
View
A thread for my, im sure, slow burning steel Vertex build.

A few years ago now i came across this Rocky Mountain frame for sale, it was cheap and needed some tlc. I was not sure on the decals at the time as it had Vertex ones fitted. I bought it though due to the size and also partly due to the cost. After which, i did a bit of research and found to my suprise, and delight, it was indeed a Vertex, the first year model, and for some reason made in steel. I like steel bikes, so it was great by me. The Vertex to me though was a memory of an aluminum dream race bike i lusted after back in the day. I really like Rocky Mountain bikes and the fact it was only made for the one year, and also a quality steel frame, made it more interesting to me.

So, i have decided to build it up as is for now, i have a few parts suitable for the build already, and i will ride it and decide whether it will be a keeper. If i decide to add it to the collection it will be added to the top of the short restoration list i have. I currently have one other build i am starting soon which will be, for now at least, the last of my build as is projects. After which i have a few frames, maybe this one also, that i will restore, new paint etc, something i havent done to date and am looking forward to, gladly there are plenty of great references on here for the work.

Anyway, here are a few pics of the frame for now... P1012734.JPG P1012722.JPG P1012712.JPG P1012731.JPG

Last edited:
Cool project Mark. Do you have the matching Tange fork?

raidan73":7o4vzceu said:
Cool project Mark. Do you have the matching Tange fork?

Thanks Adrian.

I have a couple of forks to choose from, neither unfortunately are the original RM fork, though im quite happy with the ones i have.

Plenty of option me that would suit, imo. Switchblade, Powerlite or a RS Mag for starters

I do actually have a Switchblade, not sure if i actually bought them off you many years ago. The straight legs though just dont seem to suit these frames imo, so my choices are both curved.

A couple of the fork options.

As above i have a couple of other rigid options but for some reason the straight legs on them don't seem to look right, in my eyes at least. The same really with a couple of the suspension options i have, so for now these two are the main candidates.

Personally i prefer the Big Fork but the steerer may be too short, which will be a shame but i will have to wait and see. Having said that, the Ritchey fork is more in keeping with the original RM fork. P1012737.JPG

Last edited:
A Logic fork was my other thought so that gets my vote. Seems to suit the lightweight, responsive look of the bike

The Ritchey fork was my first choice originally, but i am desperate to use the Big One on something :)

Here are a couple of pics of the frame with forks, forget about colours as they will be getting re-sprayed eventually. P1012757.JPG P1012754.JPG

Last edited:
Back