Jaggs' 1991 Trek 7000

Jaggs

Dirt Disciple
So, after some time, much money and moaning, I've got the Trek done.

This started as one of those things that got delivered after a rash decision to purchase, but, upon inspection after arrival, the frame turned out to be in pretty good condition:

Despite there being a few marks, the paint was quite easy to touch up, being mostly black, and it polished up really well.

In terms of what came with it, I managed to get the frame, forks, front mech (LX) and cantilevers, which were the really nice Deore DX blank cantilevers which went really well with the frame.

So, I'd managed to get hold of a few items and sets of wheels, and after some trial and error, I decided to order some rims from the states which I fancied years and years ago, some Matrix Mt. Aero rims, NOS, and got them built on XT hubs.

As you can see, these are skinnier than a 90's supermodel. As I won't be charging down any downhills on this, I thought I would tick these off my component bucket list.

In terms of other 'stuff' I went for:

Original Spec:

- Stem (matrix)
- Handlebar (True Temper - but black not green)
- XT Hubs
- XT Rear mech
- XT Chainset/cranks
- XT STI brakes/shifters
- DX Headset
- DX Cantilevers
- DX SPD's
- LX front mech
- Bright green grips not retro but hey..
- Smoke rear, Dart front

I have a few other options, such as NOS Tioga headset and t-bone stem, mavic 261cd rims, original NOS XT SPD's etc but this will do for now:

Once done, this was possibly the most excited I have been to get on a bike in over 20 years, and it rides as well as I'd hoped.

:cool: looks great, and that wheelset looks nice with those rims too.

Re:

Good work Jaggs! - was this the one you mentioned in my 8700 thread? .....divorce not impending I hope!!

Nicely specced and looks ace! :cool: .....those Matrix mt. Aero NOS! - very envious of those. Would love to have a pair of them (in 32H) to build onto the Bullseye hubs I have in reserve.
Any problems sourcing the 'doohickey' to run the front mech?

Good news it rides as well as you hoped. Very much the same with mine... enjoying it immensely right now.

Keep up the good work :D

boy"O"boy

Re:

No divorce yet, but since then I've stashed a 2008 Trek and a Raleigh M-Trax from 1993 in the shed....but yes this is the one I was on about.
So, fortunately, the front-mech came with the frame including the thingy, so that's why I didn't bother swapping a perfectly good front LX mech for the XT one, seemed a bit senseless to me.
The wheels are great. I'm not as light now as I used to be in 1990, and had some NOS 32 hole DX hubs lined up to go on a pair of NOS Mavic 261cd's which would look great and be plenty strong enough, but, I fancied those rims all those years back, and despite them being thinner than a pair of Mavic MA40's, 36 hole should be strong enough.
The frame paint is actually very thick, to doing the minor touch-ups was made quick and easy. I was going to go for neon green cable outers, but went for the bright green grips instead.
I had some brake options and NOS XT thumbies etc, but decided on the STI's which works just as well. Might put some MAG 21's on at some point.
The BB was a pain, and in the end I went for a 127 length, which, with the XT chainset, is fine. Still hasn't left much room though. But according to the Tech spec document, that's what it takes.

Back