Kona Humuhumu stars and bars, tell me all you know about it.

trisse

Retro Newbie
Hi,

Last week I bought this bike from a guy in Brussels, Belgium.
He told me that he got it from its original owner and used it a couple of times before it ended in his shed for years.
It is in a pretty bad shape. A lot of bruises and some rust. No technical damage.

Information about this Kona Humuhumu with Stars and Bars decals is difficult to find.
It has a Shimano Nexus 4 gear hub with a roller brake in the back and a canti brake in the front.

I already changed the saddle it came with to a brooks saddle.
All the rest is the way I got it.

Not all the decals are under the paint, some loose angles by the "bars" on the straighttube.

I would like to know if anybody could tell me more about this bike, catalogue, original pictures, etc...

Kind regards,

Attachments

• IMG_0697.JPG
    IMG_0697.JPG
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 395
Re:

The 1997 catalogue is on the archive part at the top.

And if you have a search there's a few on here.

They are awesome. That paintwork is just the best. Saw one on Facebook last week which had been resprayed and I could have cried.

Enjoy

Hi,

Last week I bought this bike from a guy in Brussels, Belgium.
He told me that he got it from its original owner and used it a couple of times before it ended in his shed for years.
It is in a pretty bad shape. A lot of bruises and some rust. No technical damage.

Information about this Kona Humuhumu with Stars and Bars decals is difficult to find.
It has a Shimano Nexus 4 gear hub with a roller brake in the back and a canti brake in the front.

I already changed the saddle it came with to a brooks saddle.
All the rest is the way I got it.

Not all the decals are under the paint, some loose angles by the "bars" on the straighttube.

I would like to know if anybody could tell me more about this bike, catalogue, original pictures, etc...

Kind regards,

Nothing original on that A'ha at all, apart from the frameset. It didn't come with gears and had Kona Curve brakes front and rear. Sun AT18 rims with a flip flop rear hub. I'm guessing they bought the frameset and built it up themselves.

Hi,

I have the same Humuhumu. I bought it from Belgium on 1997. Some kind of anniversary model.
Still have it for nice day cruising in Helsinki.
Shimano Nexus4 with brakes. As a Cherry on top Quickbrick white wall tires
WP_20140727_18_20_57_Pro.jpg

I used to have one of these in stars and bars, think I even raced it once.
Original single speed. I think it is the bike with the longest name, humuhumunukunukuapua'a if i'm not mistaken, named after a fish.
Seem to remember mine having nice cranks, not DXR but similar. Kona riser with cross brace. I don't know, it was a long time back. I just remember it being awesome and having a great paint job.

Kona were clowning. They wanted the longest bike name ever, hence the native name for the Hawaiian state fish. They also wanted the first alphabetically, hence A'a, which may also have been an attempt at the shortest name. But they weren't joking about the bikes, they're fantastic riders.

A friend of mine just picked up this, a 1996 Humu, with a Ti fork. I'm going to find out more about it, but he mentioned it was a Kona trade show bike.

257253885_1246580845842881_8211451703885330128_n.jpg

I found one similar here.
20190729_182309.jpg

Back