1990 Kona Cindercone

DeletedUser006

Old School Grand Master
Latest Pics now on Page 2 - Ready for FOD next weekend :D

Just finished my next little trip back in time, I hope you like ! Its getting dark outside hence the crappy pics, I will get some more when I get to ride it.

It has been built from some of my cast off's. Im not too sure about the wheels but they are silver and dont look too bad.

I have just been waiting for the brakes to return from a fresh powder coat (thanks to Guybe's reccomendations on powercaoters). I had them in my cast off's box and were pretty abused but look as fresh as a bluebell now :LOL:

Frame: 1990 Kona Cindercone, white with Blue and red splatters 18" Tange Tubing

Fork: P2 1"
Headset: 1" Unknown
Stem: Velocity
Handlebar: Black alloy
Grips: Yeti
Brake Pads: Kool Stop Grey
Brake Cables: Shimano Braided with XTR Grey Outers
Brake Levers: Dia Compe SS5
Cantilevers: Suntour XC / XE SE rear in Blue
Shifters: XT Thumb Shifters
Front Derailleur: Sutour XCE
Rear Derailleur: Suntour XC Comp
Derailleur Cables: Shimano XTR Grey Outers
Cassette: XT 8 Speed
Chain: Sram
Cranks: Specialized S-Works
Bottom Bracket: Shimano UN
Pedals: Rob Warner Mr Crud
Hub & Skewers:Planet X Gunmetal
Rims:Mavic X221
Tyres: New Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 Amberwall

I have had to put the S-Works chainset on for the time being, I think i will change to something more period correct - What do you think ?

Cheers

8Oct001.jpg

8Oct002.jpg

8Oct004.jpg

Really nice

Good job :D

really clean build, these were always one of my favorites back in the late 80's early 90's ;)

Cheers for your comments :cool:

Yea its anther close to my heart, I had a 90 Lavadome in red bitd which was my fav kona of all , after upgrading everything and getting a full argos paint job it got stolen from our house along with my brothers 91 and my dad's DB apex in 1994.

Im really looking forward to riding it in the next couple of weeks as I am having to take things easy after a small op.................... cough just had the unleaded conversion done cough ;)

That's looking good, the frame/forks looked in good nick for it age, just like new really, I also like the brakes and the colour, I think you did a great job. Nice one :)

Very nice! I wasn't sure about the brakes at first but I see they match the speckle on the frame, good call. I can't let that seat go though as lovely as it is doesn't suit IMHO. But it's your bike :D

Rally_cat":1w8qkb87 said:
Very nice! I wasn't sure about the brakes at first but I see they match the speckle on the frame, good call. I can't let that seat go though as lovely as it is doesn't suit IMHO. But it's your bike :D

I put the seat on as it was my only spare, I have one identiacal on my modern tricross and it is a nice seat. I am lookimg out for an avocet to really finish it off but the charge doesnt look too bad afterall.

I like the powdercoat color on the canti's; goes with the bike's paint job well. Did you have the frame and fork painted? Looks to be in great condition for the year.

I like the seat...for some reason.

In regards to changing out the s-works crankset to make it more period correct: why bother? imo, if you are going to be only a little period correct, then don't bother looking to make it more so or less so- just go for what you like. Either your goal is to make it completely period correct, or just to make it cool and to your liking.

If you change out the crankset to a period correct one, then the saddle/seatpost/binder should go along with it. Again, imo, the bike looks great! But if period correct is what you are looking for, then that's another story.

GoldenEraMTB":3sg4aoj4 said:
I like the powdercoat color on the canti's; goes with the bike's paint job well. Did you have the frame and fork painted? Looks to be in great condition for the year.

All Original, The frame and forks are in really good condition, It has a couple of chips to the paint but overall its in fantastic condition. The blue for the canti's was a guess from a colour chart which has turned out to be a perfect match for the blue splatters :cool:

Back