93/94 GT RTS-2 Replica of my 94/95 race bike - BOTM Oct 2020

44Racing

BoTM Triple Crown
BoTM Winner
BoTY Winner
GT Fan
Ive had my GT RTS-2 for around 6 years now and it was my first retro bike. I got it in order to build a more aesthetically pleasing replica of my 18" 94/95 race bike.

I found the bike fairly local to me on Gumtree...despite it being completely covered in free MBUK stickers and having a huge weird saddle it looked really good condition in the usual high-wear areas and was pretty much OEM spec apart from Judy SL's, Syncros riser bars and first generation XT V brakes, so I arranged to view it. Upon arriving at the guys house the bike was immaculate. It turned out that he had owned the bike from new (purchased March 94), had only ridden it 8 times, had never ridden it off road, the Judy SL's and XT V's had only been ridden once.

I decided that I wanted to replicate the build of my most memorable parts build I had on my race bike back in the day (I had a few part changes when money allowed, trends changed and I also snapped 3 frames all replaced under warranty) with Mag 21's, Flite titanium, ano blue USE bars, seat post, Onza barends, clear Onza grips, white Onza Porcupine tyres, blue Hope Ti hubs on silver Campag Atek rims with blue nipples (always wanted Spins), M737 spd's and various ano blue bolts/bits.

So the initial build started like this...

p4pb19130752.jpg

p4pb19130751.jpg

p4pb19130755.jpg

p4pb19130754.jpg

p4pb19130753.jpg

After a while I decided that I didn't like the caramel Maxxis tyres (I sourced them after seeing how rare/expensive white Onza Porcs were), I wanted Spins, I wanted the spec I initially set out to build and my OCD was starting to kick in so I wanted to replace the cranks, pedals as they had slight signs of wear. I spent the next couple of years sourcing parts to the build it is today. It was on display in it's current form at the 2018 Malverns...

p4pb19129676.jpg

p4pb19129284.jpg

p4pb19129279.jpg

p4pb19129275.jpg

p4pb19129282.jpg

p4pb19129272.jpg

p4pb19129281.jpg

p4pb19129278.jpg

p4pb19129277.jpg

p4pb19129276.jpg

p4pb19129271.jpg

p4pb19129273.jpg

p4pb19129699.jpg

Last edited:
Re:

Woow, that is a cool bike :cool: !

Very interesting ensemble of (NOS :shock: ) componentry :cool: :cool:
Like everything, but the Spins, I must admit; will you be riding this baby too?

Re: Re:

Double-E F":37434bw9 said:
Woow, that is a cool bike :cool: !

Very interesting ensemble of (NOS :shock: ) componentry :cool: :cool:
Like everything, but the Spins, I must admit; will you be riding this baby too?

Cheers mate.

Yeah the spec is a little different as it replicates my build from back in the day that was “upgraded” as and when money allowed, but still retained certain OEM parts such as the drivetrain, stem, etc.

Spins are very marmite where you either love or hate them and in my opinion they only suit certain bikes/brands. I fitted them as I lusted after some back in the day, however in reality they’re heavier than my Hope titanium wheels.

No this is a workshop wall hanger that won’t be ridden as I have modern bikes to ride. It’s there to remind me of good days gone.

Re: 93/94 GT RTS-2 - Replica of my 94/95 race bike

Full spec...

Frame: 1993 (purchased new 1994) GT RTS-2 14.5"

Fork: RockShox Mag 21 (NOS)

Headset: Cane Creek S-3
Stem: GT flip-flop
Handlebar: USE anodised blue
Grips: Onza Porcupine clear (NOS)
Barends: Onza (NOS)

Brakes: Shimano LX M560 mounted with X-Lite anodised blue cantilever bolts and original X-Lite ti bolts
Brake Pads: Shimano OEM
Brake Cables: Shimano
Cantilever cable hangers: Onza Chill Pill anodised blue (rear Chill Pill modified for RTS cable routing) (NOS)
Brake Levers: Shimano LX M560

Shifters: Shimano LX M560
Front Derailleur: Shimano LX M560
Rear Derailleur: Shimano LX M560 with anodised blue mech hanger bolt
Derailleur Cables: Shimano
Cassette: Shimano LX M560
Chain: Shimano HG71
Cranks: Shimano LX M560 (NOS)
Crank Bolts: Middleburn anodised blue (NOS)
Chainrings: Shimano LX M560
Chainring bolts: Middleburn anodised blue (NOS)
Bottom Bracket: Shimano LX UN51
Pedals: Shimano PD-M737 (NOS)

Hub Skewers: 1st gen Hope Titanium
Rims: Spin
Hubs: Spin (I believe made by Hadley)
Nipples: N/A
Spokes: Spin
Tyres: Tioga Psycho (NOS)
Tubes: OEM

Saddle: Flite Titanium
Seatpost: USE anodised blue
Seatpost Binder: GT

Weight: Not sure

That is a stunner!! It looks even better then new, and I use to sell them back in the day. Well done, great work.

Re: Re:

lukewheels:2ft01tlw said:
That looks great! About to start a RTS1 myself, good ideas here.

Thank you

Ah wow, that’ll be a great project. Got to love an RTS-1

Last edited:

malt:2ua2s8g4 said:
That is a stunner!! It looks even better then new, and I use to sell them back in the day. Well done, great work.

Thank you

The frame is completely unrestored, it’s only been ridden 8 times so has just been meticulously cleaned and polished.

The build is running the original front/rear mechs, cassette, levers/shifters, bb, chainrings and GT seat clamp. Numerous items of the build I managed to source NOS including the Mag 21’s.

Last edited:
Re:

Sourced a NOS black brake arch for my Mag 21's so that they matched mine from back in the day...

p4pb19615377.jpg

Also got some close-up pics of my modified Onza Chill Pill for the rear RTS brake set-up

p4pb19615468.jpg

p4pb19615467.jpg

Back